Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cooking By Color

This month's Royal Foodie Joust has an interesting twist, instead of being told what three ingredients we need to use in our entry, we were told three colors; red, white & green. I had a few different things that came to mind so I've been trying them all.
Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
My first thought was red flank steak, green chimichurri sauce & garlicy white beans. A fabulous dinner yes, but I'm not sure if it good enough to be a Joust entry.

My next thoughts went to desserts & a brownie spiced up with red chili, white chocolate & green pistachios.
Brownie Making Still Life
Now we are getting closer to an entry here. A fudgy chocolate brownie made even fudgier by the white chocolate chips, with little crunchy bits of pistachio & a good amount of heat for good measure.
#110  - Red Hot Brownies
We've always been brownie purist never adding any nuts or what-have-you to them but I'll make an exception for these, they were so good.

Red Hot Brownies
(adapted from Small-Batch Baking)

1 1/2 T unsalted butter
3/4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 c + 2 T sugar
2 T well-beaten egg
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 c flour
1/8 t salt
1 t cayenne pepper
1/4 c chopped pistachios
1/4 c white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease the bottom & sides of a mini loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a strip of tin foil to fit the length plus up the short sides with a good amount hanging over each side. Grease the foil as well. (This foil strip helps lift the brownie out of the loaf pan.)

In a microwave safe boil melt the butter & chocolate on high for 1 minute. Stir until completely melted & smooth. Add the sugar & whisk. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. Then stir in the flour, salt & cayenne until completely blended. Fold in the pistachios & chocolate chips. Spread in loaf pan.

Bake for about 28 - 30 minutes until the top starts to look dry & is pulling away from the edges. Place pan on rack & allow the brownies to cool completely before lifting from the pan.

Makes 2 - 3 servings

I'm not sure if this brownie will be my entry or not yet. I have one more idea to try this week before all entries are due on Friday.

13 comments:

Lisa said...

The brownies look great but I am really drooling over the flank steak. I guess I would rather eat dinner first:)

Megan said...

Please pass the brownies! They look and sound great!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Love this! I love a little heat with my chocolate! Great entry Kat! Best of luck!

HungryinSW said...

Both of these items look stupid good. I'm ready for some chimichurri!

Giff said...

love the sound of both, Kat. The brownies sound sinful.

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
Did you get a new camera?
Your photos look terrific.
I love the flank steak photo....
I made a choc chili cake and it was FANTASTIC!
I will try the brownies!

Lori said...

I want both of these things. I will take that as one complete meal. DEE-licious. Love the brownie idea.

Sharon said...

Great photo! I'll take one of those brownies please.

Grace said...

my sweet tooth is apparently quite overwhelming because i forgot about your steak the second you mentioned brownies. :)

Peter M said...

Oh, my oh my...I want flank steak for dinner 2nite! That pink looks so good.

Sam said...

Those brownies sound amazing! they look so good!

Foodycat said...

I would walk on fire for that main course followed by that dessert! They look absolutely amazing!

Kevin said...

Those chili, white chocolate and pistachio brownies look so good! I like the chili in them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors