Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BL(GF)T

We're cooking easy, comfort meals that don't take a lot of time in the kitchen this week. Last night's dinner was a perfect example, plus it featured one of my favorite treats as a kid, green fried tomatoes.
BL(GF)T
Yes, that is a BLT, only the T is green, breaded and fried. Who knows if our tomatoes will ever ripen this year, so I might as well eat them while they are green. They get so wonderfully sweet when fried. That sweetness is the perfect foil to some good salty bacon.

The tomatoes get sliced very thin then patted dry with a paper towel. Some people dip their tomatoes in egg before dredging in a flour mixture, but I find that makes for too heavy a coating. Instead I dipped mine in some buttermilk (well, I didn't have buttermilk on hand so actually I used half and half with a little lemon in it). I went very simple on the breading for the tomatoes as I wasn't eating them alone, just a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1 tablespoon cornmeal and some salt and pepper. Then, to make it even better I fried them in the bacon grease, oh yeah, the bacon grease. This is not a sandwich for the faint of heart.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

9 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

I made a fried green tomato BLT this past weekend as well. I prefer to use the egg dip and a spicy cornmeal breading for mine for some extra crunch over the peppered bacon. Just for fun I did a Tabasco ranch dressing on top as well.

Gorgeous photo of yours. Mmm!

Jacky said...

Looks delicious! My tomatoes are refusing to ripen, this is perfect.

Tangled Noodle said...

Fried green tomatoes - what a great idea! We love BLTs, but this is an excellent way to perk things up. I'll definitely give it a try! 8-)

vanillasugarblog said...

brilliant! this is exactly what i want for lunch.
do you deliver? lol

Steff @ The Kitchen Trials said...

Bacon grease makes it better!

Lo said...

Considering some darned little critter keeps burrowing into my lovely tomatoes before they can fully ripen, I might just have to salvage some of my green tomatoes. And these sandwiches look, shall I say, awesome?

giz said...

Can you believe that I've never tried a fried green tomatoe - your sammie looks so appetizing - I want it now ... actually... if you don't mind :)

grace said...

one of the restaurants in my town serves what they call an ultimate blt, and it uses fried green tomatoes and challah bread. it really is pretty stellar!

Lori said...

We have a deli here that does a Fried Green Tomato BLT, but I've never ordered it. I've been so tempted to make my own. Your tomatoes look great! Such a good combo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota