Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recipes to Rival - Swiss Chard Holopchi

This month I hosted Recipes to Rival with Equal Opportunity Kitchen. We did a Ukrainian dish called Holipchi which is a little roll that is baked with a green leaf around it (the original recipe called for beet leaves but I used swiss chard) & then serves with a garlic dill sauce.
IMG_9988
The recipe was huge so I cut it into 1/4 but still got 24 rolls. I thought the end result was tasty but I think I over cooked mine a bit as the bottom layer was a little crispy. If I made these again I wouldn't cook them with the sauce but serve the sauce over then afterwards. It seemed the sauce cooked away during cooking for me.
IMG_9990
Swiss Chard Holopchi
Adapted from The Keld Community Ladies Club in Ashville, Manitoba.

Bread Dough

1 1/8 t instant yeast
2 T warm water
1/4 t sugar
1/2 c scalded milk
1 c warm water
1 T melted butter
2 c flour
2 T beaten egg
1/2 T salt
1 t sugar
1 1/2 c flour plus more as needed

Directions

1. Dissolve 1 ts. sugar in 1/2 cup tepid water, sprinkle with yeast and let stand for 10 minutes.

2. To the milk-water liquid add the melted butter, dissolved yeast and 8 cups of flour. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour)

3. Add salt, beaten eggs, sugar and remaining flour.

4. Knead well until dough is smooth and top with melted butter or oil.

5. Place in a warm place and let rise until double in bulk. It will take about 2 hours. Punch down . When dough has risen to double in bulk, place a piece of dough, the size of a walnut on a beet leaf and roll up (leaving sides open)
IMG_9964 IMG_9981
6. Place holopchi loosely in a pot to allow for dough to rise to double in bulk again.

7. Arrange in layers, dotting each layer with butter. Pour sauce over rolls if you wish at this point of serve it with the finished rolls.

8. Cover tightly, bake in a moderate oven of 350 F for 3/4 to 1 hour.

Sauce

1/2 cup butter
2 cups whipping cream
8 small onions (I used chives)
2 handfuls of chopped fresh dill (this makes the whole dish)
2-4 large cloves of garlic, chopped fine

Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions (chives) garlic, dill and cream.
Let it come to a boil and then turn down the heat.

This made 24 rolls

17 comments:

giz said...

You did a great job Kat. I like the swiss chard. I think I'd cook them in the sauce and then make sure I had enough pour over sauce for warm up.

PG said...

Yours turned out really well. Swiss chard looks like a good alternative. Thanks for hosting with us (even if Giz and I were kind of slackers on hosting duties).

Anonymous said...

This is such a great looking recipe, that I'm sorry I'm missing it because my range is broken!

Jen said...

another recipe with my current veggie obsession-- I'm definitely bookmarking this one.

Dewi said...

Kat, I was just over at GIz place, and saw this cabbage rolls. Oh its utterly enticing!
Cheers,
Elra

Lori said...

Great job Kat. They look really good. I love how tender they look. Man I tell yah. I wish there was more time this month.

Dragon said...

I have never seen these before. Wow!

Temperance said...

I'm with Giz, cook in half and half the sauce over the top when done. great job, I made my own and your pictures are making me want to make them again!

Anonymous said...

Your rolls look great! I couldn't find beet leaves or swiss chard so I used cabbage. I like the contrast of the swiss chard though, much prettier presentation. Thanks for the great challenge, my hubby loved them.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

What an interesting bread. . .I didn't realize it was bread at first when I saw the chard leaves. This is so cool and yours looks like they're going to be delicious!

grace said...

this is so neat! i immediately wondered what was inside the leaves, and i really never would've guessed it was bread. awesome.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

So interesting and very intriguing!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Wow - I have never seen anything like this! I couldn't figure out what was in the leaves at all!

Anonymous said...

i am ukrainian. the ukrainian goloubtci are with meat and rice inside the cabbage leaves.

Anonymous said...

Chard actually comes from the same species as beets, it is just cultivated for its greens rather than its root. This recipe looks like wonderful comfort food and I'm looking forward to trying it. It could be especially beautiful with the rainbow chard variety.

Anonymous said...

These pyrizhky were originally made in July when beets ar growing and they can harvest the leaves and let the root grow. They are made in July for the feast of sta. Peter and Paul. Yours look great. I would add a small container of sour cream and a ton of dill tha t is chopped. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

My In-laws are Ukrainian, and we make this dish every year. They are supposed to be baked for only about 10 mins or until they are lightly golden. The sauce is made seperatly and served seperatly after the rolls are plated or mixed in a bowl with the rolls.
Really is a great dish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota