Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Sad Day in Minneapolis Restaurants

Morning after the fire at Blackbird
I'm sitting here watching a video of a retail block in our neighborhood burn down. Sadly that block includes our favorite breakfast place, one I just wrote about last week, Blackbird. Apparently a grease fire started in the neighboring restaurant, Heidi's. I am sick about it, just thinking of Chris & Gail's wonderful cafe going up in flames. I think about all the wonderful waitresses we've gotten to know & laughed with over breakfasts. It was a place where people in the neighborhood went every week & had a seat at the bar with friends. Luckily no one in the restaurants was hurt, though two firefighters were injured in putting out the fire, I just hope a small family business like this can bounce back.
Morning after the fire

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

14 comments:

Manisha said...

Oh no!! I was just telling D about your breakfast spot. I hope they are able to rebound from this!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear about this loss. I can tell by the way you've written this post that you cherish the establishment and the people you've forged relationships.

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt... What terrible news. It is sad to lose a favorite restaurant. It is not just losing a building, it is the lose of an atmosphere that can't be reproduced. Also, those that worked there are now without jobs. I hope that Chris & Gail can find a new place.

Sook said...

Oh no! That is so sad! I'm so sorry!

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
If NYC can come back after 9/11, then so can Blackbird.
They will come back stronger than ever, just like New York did! Especially w/ the help of loyal patrons like us! Let them know they have your support, it's so important.
I feel so badly for them.

Rose said...

Oh no! I am sorry to hear this sad news for your community. Hopefully, everyone will rally around the businesses that were affected to help them rebuild.

Unplanned Cooking said...

It's so sad, isn't it? I adore Heidi's.

Lo said...

Oh, no! Having just lived through the demise of one of my favorite restaurants here in Milwaukee, I'm here to give the utmost in condolences. Losing such a great place is never easy -- and the loss is greatest since you know, deep down, that even a rebuild wouldn't be quite the same.

Having been to Blackbird (albeit only once), I'm sharing in a little piece of your pain.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That's so sad! How awful that the firefighters were hurt, too. Good luck to Chris and Gail in coming back from this.

Lori said...

That is really sad Kat. Hopefully they will have enough coverage to rebuild and get their business back.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

I really feel for them. It is so hard to build a business!

Lori said...

Oh no, what sad news. After seeing your post about it recently, just hearing your story gave me a pit in my stomach. Thoughts and well wishes to the owners and to all the people who enjoyed eating there. I hope they can rebuild and open again. Great family businesses are so valuable.

tamilyn said...

I saw this on the news. I have never been to these places but the comments from people made me sorry I never got the chance. I hope they will be able to rebuild.

Wm. said...

I went to high school with Gail, and in fact had just pointed out to her your mention a day or two before the fire. What a shame. But I know they'll be back with something even better than before.

- Will

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota