Thursday, August 20, 2009

Zesty Zucchini Relish

Our quest to use up all the zucchini continues....
Zucchini Relish
This is the type of relish you put on a hot dog or brat but fresh & flavorful because its made at home. You can make it as spicy as you want by adding more or hotter peppers. The horseradish adds quite a kick too. Even the smell of it while its cooking will clear out your sinuses!

This recipe really takes two days as the vegetables need to sit in a brine for 12 hours so plan ahead.

Zesty Zucchini Relish
(adapted from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving for quantity)

6 c zucchini, finely chopped
2 c onion, chopped (we used a sweet onion)
1 1/2 bell peppers, seeded & chopped (we used all red though you could do a mix)
2 1/2 T canning salt
1 1/4 c sugar
1 1/4 c white vinegar
1/2 T nutmeg
1/2 T ground turmeric
2 T prepared horseradish
1 jalapeno, including seeds chopped

Put the zucchini, onion, peppers & salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover & let sit for 12 hours or overnight at room temperature. Drain & rinse with cool water. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hands.

Place the drained vegetables in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Add the sugar, vinegar, nutmeg, turmeric, horseradish & chili pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce & allow to simmer for about 45 minutes stirring from time to time. It is done most of the liquid has been reduced & it has the consistency of a thin relish.

Meanwhile, prepare 5 half-pint jars by boiling them for 20 minutes. Boil the lids for five.

Fill the hot jars with the hot relish leaving 1/2-inch head space. Clean the rims. Put the top on & hand screw on the neckbands. Place the jars back into the boiling water & process for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat & let sit for 5 more minutes. Remove the jars, do not dry them, and let them sit for 12 - 24 hours to cool. If the top does not pull downwards the relish has not been processed properly, either refrigerate & use or reprocess.

Makes 5 half-pints

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Sippity Sup said...

Thanks for the idea for my abundance of zucchini! I have never canned before, but U think U could do this...I stunbled this so others can lwarn. GREG

Connie said...

I want to make this for my husband! I wonder if any of my neighbors have any leftover Zucchini?

grace said...

zesty is such a terrific word. this looks really appealing, but sadly, i couldn't handle it. horseradish makes me sneeze. :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Never had zucchini relish but I love anything spicy and this looks delicious.

jillian said...

Zucchini relish is such a good idea. I have two on the counter waiting to be used right now.

Deborah said...

I never liked relish until the last year or two. I've never tried a zucchini relish, but I sure do have enough zucchini to make this!

Gina's Custom Creations said...

I absolutely love zucchini relish...my mom makes it all the time. But I have got to try your recipe! I'm stopping at the store after work today to get the ingredients I need so I can make this! I have a freezer full of shredded zucchini from the garden this summer, so I will just use that. Can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Unknown said...

which country is this soup from - just wondering!

kat said...

megsymooox - not sure what soup you mean. this is a recipe for a relish

Anonymous said...

could you do this recipe without horseradish? [i hate it]

kat said...

You probably could but without the horseradish it wouldn't be zesty

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota