Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Glazed Beet Donuts

When I mentioned on Facebook that I was going to try making beet donuts today, Amy from Green Your Plate told me I was "talking crazy talk." But you see, I think beets, especially roasted beets, have a mild sweetness that makes them perfect for this type of application. And let's not forget about the color they add. Last summer, we made a Vanilla Beet Gelato that we really enjoyed so, it wasn't so crazy for us.
Beet Donuts
This was my first go at making real cake donuts (the shortcake ones from yesterday don't count) and I wasn't sure what to expect from the texture. I have to say, they were surprisingly close to what you'd buy at a donut shop, firm and springy but, not too dry. I have a feeling they are best eaten the day made but, that isn't a big deal since you could mix these up and bake then in about 15 - 20 minutes.
Beet Donuts
Of course, you want to know how they taste. They were very good, sweet but, not too sweet, with hints of vanilla and cinnamon. The beet flavor is there but it is subtle, perfectly balanced with the other flavors. If you served these to someone without telling them they were made with beets, I'm betting they would have a hard time putting a finger on what the flavor is. I should mention Matt thought the cake could be sweeter but, I thought it was totally sweet enough, especially with the glaze.

Glazed Beet Donuts
adapted from the recipe on the Norpro Donut Pan package

3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
3/4 t baking powder
pinch salt
pinch cinnamon
pinch cayenne
1/4 c chopped, roasted beets
1/4 c milk
3/4 t vanilla
1 egg
1 t shortening

Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 T milk

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease three donut forms in a donut baking pan.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cayenne.

In a small food processor or chopped, purée the beets with the milk. It won't be smooth. Mix into the flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla, egg and shortening. Divide between the three greased donut forms.
Beet Donuts - Ready to go in the Oven
Bake for 8 - 11 minutes (mine took all 11) until the donuts spring back when touched. Let cook for a few minutes in the donut pan before removing to a rack to finish cooling.
Beet Donuts
Once cool, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and milk in a bowl you can easily dip the donuts into. I like to start with the water and add the sugar a little at a time until I get a thickness I like. You may need more or less sugar. Dip the cool donuts carefully into the glaze. Remove to a rack where the glaze can drip off. Let set for a few minutes to harden.
Beet Donuts
Makes 3 donuts.

Now, how's that for a way to get some more vegetables into your kids?
Beet Donuts

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

21 comments:

Amy P. said...

Hmm, I think you're convincing me to buy a donut pan, Kathy. Will just have to blindfold my kids while I'm prepping the beets themselves.

Amy Anderson said...

Damn, now I have to go buy a donut pan...

Amy @ A Little Nosh

vanillasugarblog said...

boy do i hate beets.
this i might enjoy though.
beets--in donut form LOL

Tanya said...

Fabulous! I know what you mean about baking with beets. The best chocolate cake I have ever eaten is made with beets, which add richness and a wonderful, subtle reddish tint to the cake. Your doughnuts sound and look yummy!

Lindsay @ Pinchofyum said...

I was just lamenting on my blog about not being able to find a way to enjoy beets. I recently started enjoying radishes by baking them with cinnamon sugar...so this vegetable-to-dessert method is right up my alley!! I can't wait to try these!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum said...

By the way... I didn't realize that you are from Minneapolis! I live just outside Minneapolis as well. :)

Kris said...

Those are just beautiful! The color very closely resembles my favorite doughnut of all time - cherry cake doughnuts (although those have a slightly speckled look). This may just push me over the edge to finally using the donut factory I got for Christmas (see www.ThinkGeek.com). Thanks for sharing!!

Lori said...

I am so making these!

I am guessing Matt has a major sweet tooth?

I will stick with your sugar amount as I tend to like it a bit less sweet.

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

Those look so beautiful. Love the color :) I really need to get myself a doughnut pan!

Sugar Swings said...

i would love one of these now!!!

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness, these look amazing! You are a genius!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've made beetroot cake before, but I never thought of beetroot doughnuts! What a lovely colour!

grace said...

gorgeous! i knew you'd be doing great things, and this is definitely great.

Three-Cookies said...

This baked donut sounds easy and delicious, and beets add nice color as well. I will definitely try, esp since its a fry free version!

Geek+Nerd said...

These look totally delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Lori said...

If I'd seen that post, I would have said the same thing! These look so great and so creative!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Not only yummy and creative, but so beautiful!

Lynne said...

I think this is just the thing that could get me into beets. Beets and donuts, together at last. Brilliant!!

ana said...

I made these tonight and they are fantastic! I am going to give it a try with pumpkin and few extra spices. I love beets, but we'll see what the 3 year old donut monster says tomorrow morning :D

Andrea said...

Do you think I could use a muffin pan to make these? I don't think I can wait long enough to get a donut pan! :)

kat said...

Andrea - You probably could but your cooking time would be different as they would be bigger & not have the metal pole through the middle. I bet you'd only get two from the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota