Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Green Garlic and Chive Pesto

Over the last three years we have slowly been re-landscaping our yard, adding perennial gardens, raised vegetable beds and such.
New Garden Path
This summer I redid an area that used to be my herb garden (though nothing grew well there). There were a few stray things from last year that I needed to dig up, a bunch of chives and some stray green garlic. Matt suggested it would make an interesting pesto.
Green Garlic and Chive Pesto
I'm not a super huge fan of basil pesto but, this one is a completely different story. It's a beautiful bright green with a very zingy flavor. That zing does mellow out quite a bit when mixed with other things like cream for a pasta sauce.

Green Garlic and Chive Pesto

1/3 c chopped green garlic, I use the white and some of the lighter green parts
1/3 c chopped chives
12 raw whole almonds (I'm sure roasted would be good too but, don't use salted)
2 T grated parmesan
4 - 5 T olive oil
fresh ground pepper
kosher salt

Put the garlic, chives and almonds in a food processor of chopped and pulse a few times to chop small. Add the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Process until smooth. If not as smooth as you'd like add more olive oil and process again. Stir in a few grinds of fresh pepper. Taste and add salt as needed, the amount will depend on how salty your cheese is.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Tomorrow, I'll give you the recipe for the pasta we made with this pesto. Later this week I'll be trying it on chicken.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

4 comments:

Elle said...

Beautiful, and this would be delicious on so many things!

Amy P. said...

Mmm, this like a good variation on the typical pesto, with the almonds. I love the chive blossom in the photo too, nice!

PG said...

I have a tonne of chives in my garden. This would be a great way to make use of them.

Lori said...

Your landscaping is beautiful. What a great idea for a pesto! I've been looking for some new pesto flavors. I love basic basil, but change is good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota