Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chicken and Lentil Stew

I made this dish up as a way to use up some leftover roast chicken. It was so good though I'd cook chicken just to make it again.
Chicken & Lentil Stew
This is a simple, rustic dish but the flavors are just wonderful together & its pretty darn healthy. (Who doesn't need a quick healthy meal during the busy holiday season?) When Matt & I went to La Belle Vie for our anniversary, one of the dishes had lentil served over a carrot puree which I absolutely loved. The carrots & lentils together in this stew gave me that same flavor combination. I think its the sweetness of the carrots that really makes it special.

A note on the kale. We get a lot of kale when it first comes into season. We chop it, blanch it for a minute & freeze it to use in soups & stews throughout the winter. If you are using fresh kale add it with the lentils so it has some time to soften or blanch it then add it at the end like we did. If you use spinach instead of kale just add it at the end until it wilts.

Chicken and Lentil Stew

1/2 T olive oil
1 leek, white & light green parts sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 - 1 1/2 c carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 c cooked chicken
1/2 c dry brown lentils
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t dried marjoram
1/4 t dried rosemary
2 c chicken stock, hot
1/2 c kale, chopped & blanched (spinach would be good too)
salt & pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leek & onion & cook until tender. Stir in the carrots, chicken, lentils, thyme, marjoram & rosemary. Add the hot stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Stir in the kale & heat through. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

2 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

14 comments:

Elle said...

Oh, that looks wonderful and stick to your ribs good! Never had lentils and carrots together, but it seems like a great combo!

Lori said...

This has warm and comforting written all over it. I bet the carrot, lentil combo is fantastic. I think I'd cook chicken just to make it too!

Rose said...

I have everything I need to make this tonight - great!!!

Kristin said...

This looks delicious. Another awesome way to eat lentils! I love carrot and lentil together too ; )

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
How weird, I made French lentil salad and a pasta dish w/ kale last night! (will post next week).
Loved them both. This stew looks cozy.

Stacy and Brian's Adventures in Life said...

Lovely....I think I'll make with some leftover Thanksgiving turkey from my freezer. Thanks for the inspiration. Stace

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

This is so pretty! I love pretty food. Now I need leeks to go on sale so I can give this a go...

Maria said...

I love lentils. This looks very hearty and comforting!

Two Peas and Their Pod moved to WordPress, please update your readers, etc. Our address is: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com Come visit us and check out our new look! Thanks for following us!

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt... This stew looks really delicious; simple ingredients infused with flavorful spices. A definite must try. Thanks

Jen said...

I love lentils and it's just the time of year for a soup- I'm putting this one on the list.

Thistlemoon said...

I love this combo of flavor! My kind of soup all the way!!!

Lori said...

Check it out- in my fridge at this very moment is a soup made out of kale, endamae beans and carrots. It looks nearly the same as mine. Great minds think alike (again).

grace said...

what a satisfying bowl of food this would be! i particularly love the herbs you chose to use--great blend. i'll bet the aroma wafting up as the spoon approaches your mouth is ridiculous.

Alicia Foodycat said...

How simple and delicious! You are right about needing these sorts of dishes at this time of year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota