Friday, December 18, 2009

8 Weeks of Cookies - Spicy Double Chocolate Biscotti

I was originally going to make a salted chocolate & cherry cookie this week, similar to one Matt had at Common Roots last week. But it seemed a little to much like the salted chocolate covered caramel cookies so, those will wait for another time. Then, Matt came up with the idea for this biscotti.
Spicy Double Chocolate Biscotti
I think you could call this cookie a fusion of cuisines. Biscotti is Italian but the addition of chipotle & cinnamon is definitely Mexican influenced. Then to top it off I added some southern pecans. Though these maybe a mix of cultures, they certainly all went together well for a tasty cookie. This is a very crunchy biscotti, perfect for dipping in coffee or hot chocolate. The heat from the chipotle is a surprising back of the throat heat that just warms you up a little.

Spicy Double Chocolate Biscotti

3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 T instant espresso
1 t baking soda
3/4 t chipotle powder
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 c nuts, chopped (I used half almonds & half pecans because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 c mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300 F.

In a small bowl beat the eggs & vanilla together.

In a large bowl stir the flour sugar, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, chipotle & cinnamon together. Add the egg mixture in & stir until well mixed. (I found using my hands was the best way to do this.) Mix in the nuts & chocolate chips. The dough will be very dense & sticky.

Split the dough in two and form into logs about 12" long by 1 1/2" wide on a prepared baking sheet (either greased & floured or covered with parchment or a silicon pad). Bake for 50 minutes. Carefully remove the logs to a rack & let cool for 5 minutes. Turn oven heat down to 275 F. Using a serrated knife cut the logs into 1/2" slices on a 45 degree angle. Put the slices back on the baking sheet with one cut side down. Bake for 10 minutes then flip to the other cut side & bake for 10 more minutes. Cool on a rack.

Makes about 30 cookies
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 Weeks of Cookies 2009

8 Weeks of Cookies 2008 (somehow I ended up with 9 weeks)
Apricot Foldover Cookies
Swedish Peppernut CookiesPfeffernusse & Chocolate Covered Pfeffernusse
Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
Sacher Bites

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Elle said...

I love a little spice in my cookies! Especially when it's subtle like that.

The photo looks so inviting--I want to grab my coffee and dig in!

George Gaston said...

kat... the perfect balance of spice with a double touch of chocolate. A biscotti is always an add treat treat with coffee. Thanks for this terrific recipe....

vanillasugarblog said...

yes a little spice! love it

Heather said...

I love the addition of chili in my chocolate. One of my favorite things to do is add it to hot cocoa with a little cin. I bet that would taste GRAND wit the delicious cookies!

grace said...

plain biscotti is so blah to me, but i find this very appealing. naturally. chocolate, cinnamon, chipotle--those three c's are always a recipe for tastiness. :)

Lori said...

Wow- I just know I would lvoe these. Great idea Kat.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

these look great! would make a wonderful homemade gift, I'm sure ;)

Fresh Local and Best said...

I adore the kick from the spices in this biscotti recipe. This would go so well with a hot cup of coffee.

Cassie said...

They look wonderful! A question on the cup, though--where did you get it? The logo and colors look like the one for Vespa restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. Just wondering if there's more than one Vespa--because I always thought there was just the one!

kat said...

Cassie - It is the logo for the Vespa scooters from Italy. My husband got the mug for me at a local gift shop.

Lori said...

What a great idea! And you know I love biscotti. I don't have any chipotle powder in the house yet, but I've got to get some so I can give it a try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota