Friday, November 28, 2008

8 Weeks of Cookies - Swedish Peppernut Cookies

This is another cookie that is traditionally on my family's cookie tray at Christmas time. It's funny I was talking to my Mom this morning & she had just made them too.
Swedish Peppernut Cookies
These spice cookies are just the perfect little bite. The mix of cinnamon, clove, ginger & cardamon is a great match with the flavor of the filbert plus they make your house smell like the holidays. They do tend to be a little dry so they are best served with a cup of coffee or a big glass of milk. One thing I like about these cookies is how easy they are to make, of the 4 cookies I've made so far these come together the fastest with the least amount of work.

Swedish Peppernut Cookies
adapted from Woman's Day Dec. 1971

1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 c sugar
1 T corn syrup (light or dark will work)
1 egg
1 t cinnamon
1 t ground clove
1 t ground ginger
3/4 t ground cardamon
1/8 t pepper
2 t baking soda
3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
filberts, halved

Preheat oven to 325 F.

With an electric mixer cream the butter. Add in the sugar & corn syrup & cream until fluffy. Add the egg & spices & mixed until combined. Mix the flour & baking soda together then gradually add to the mixer until well blended.

Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time roll out to a 1-inch diameter log. Cut the logs into 3/4-inch slices. Roll each slice into a ball & place on a cookie sheet that has either been lightly greased or covered with a silicone pad. (These cookies don't spread much so you can place them pretty close together.) Press a filbert half into the center of each ball.

Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Makes 72 (I made half a recipe & got 53)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 Weeks of Cookies
Apricot Foldover Cookies

12 comments:

TNelson said...

My husband, whose mother was Norweigian and who's father (who's 92!) is Swedish so I get a big Swedish Christmas eve dinner every year and my husband always makes and takes a batch of these cookies to the party. He doesn't put the hazelnut on top but it looks like that would be a yummy addition. Happy Baking!

Trish Nelson
Omaha, NE

TNelson said...

should have been whose father not who's sorry for the bad spelling...I wish we could go back and edit these comments sometimes.

TN

Leslie said...

mmm..I would have noooo porblem eating these cookies with a BIG glass of milk!

giz said...

wow l- you get a goodly number of cookies out of a recipe. Dry cookies are my very favourite.

Alicia Foodycat said...

These would be so good with a cup of coffee! Or possibly a glass of mulled wine. I do admire your biscuit baking.

Anonymous said...

These spice cookies are the perfect holiday cookies.

Anonymous said...

Nice spicing on these cookies.. I'll have to say the pepper is a bit unexpected because I don't usually get to try it in sweets.

grace said...

i've been called a pepper nut before, but that's only because i crack massive amounts onto most of the things i eat. :)
lovely, picturesque cookies, kat. :)

Jen said...

I haven't had these since I lived in Denmark... I think I might have to make a batch this year.

Deborah said...

I love that you are making cookies that aren't the "normal" cookies (like the ones I always make!!) I've never heard of these, but they sound delicious!

the wandering fork said...

I tried the recipe tonight and they are AMAZING! I didn't have any filberts though, so I substituted them with pecans that I tossed with a touch of real maple syrup. Thank you so much for posting this fantastic recipe!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I just made your cookies four days back and they're lovely. I just loved the blend of spices all of which are staples in my kitchen.
Thanks.
You may like to see them at http://mydiversekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/12/pfeffernsse-or-pepper-nut-cookies.html

Best wishes for the festive season and a Happy New Year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota