Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Corn and Smoked Sausage Chowder

While we were at my parents over Thanksgiving my dad whipped up with corn & sausage chowder for lunch one day. It seemed to come together in no time & was a big hit with everyone especially served with his homemade breadsticks.
Corn & Sausage Chowder
Matt really liked it so wanted to make it at home right away. We forgot to get my dad's recipe but Matt figured he could wing it. I think my dad's was slightly thicker but other than that its pretty close. This soup makes for a nice hearty lunch. The sweetness of the corn pairs beautifully with the smoky sausage. My dad uses frozen potatoes o'brien instead of chopping his own potatoes, peppers & onions so feel free to substitute that if you want even a quicker meal.

Corn & Smoked Sausage Chowder

2 T unsalted butter
1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, seed & chopped
4 T all-purpose flour
3 c chicken stock
12 oz smoked sausage, cut in half lengthwise then sliced sliced
2 c sweet corn, frozen or fresh off the cob
2 c potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 large russet)
1/2 - 1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 t sweet paprika
salt & pepper to taste
2 c milk
hot sauce (optional)

In a large soup pot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion & red pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent. Sprinkle in the flour & cook while stirring for 1 minute, do not let brown. Add the stock slowly & continue stirring until bubbly. Add the sausage, corn and potatoes. Stir in the red pepper, paprika plus salt & pepper. Cover & let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potato is tender. Stir in the milk & heat, do not boil. Check seasoning & add salt, pepper & hot sauce to taste.

4 - 6 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

12 comments:

Lori said...

The soup looks good! Warm and comforting. I do have to admit that my my interest increased with the mention of homemade breadsticks. ;)

Maria said...

I want soup for every meal to warm me up. It is cold here!

Tangled Noodle said...

Hubs left for the store before I read this (am supposed to be studying, not blog reading) but I think I can call his cell to pick up corn! It's the perfect soup for the next couple of days.

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt - Love the addition of the smoked sausage. I have always used thick slab bacon to accent my corn chowder, but I bet the sausage takes it to another dimension.

Here is a suggestion I passed on to Pam @ "For the love of cooking" - take about 1 cup of kernel corn and puree it, then add it to your soup. That will thicken it and add flavor, as well as texture.

Thistlemoon said...

I love these flavors together! Perfect for keeping the cold away!

Sharon said...

It is so cold here and a nice warm bowl of this soup would be very comforting!

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

It's funny you posted this because I've been planning on making corn chowder this week too. It's so good and hearty. I hadn't thought about adding sausage though. Hmm....

grace said...

the pop of the corn, the chew of the potato, the taste of the sausage--this is a high quality soup. pretty, too.

Unplanned Cooking said...

We've been making a lot of soups lately. My husband's brother makes his own sausage, which is fabulous. This would be a good way to make a meal out of it.

Velva said...

This soup would be perfect for a weeknight meal. Looks delicious!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks delicious! I love smoked sausage. I don't know what potatoes o'brien is, so I think I will be cutting my own vegetables!

Deborah said...

I think I just found what it for dinner tonight. I have all of these ingredients on hand right now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota