Friday, October 30, 2009

Roasted Pepper Soup

Matt & I are lucky enough to both work at home. (I know many couples say they would kill each other but we've learned to respect each other's space & enjoy the time together.) One of the perks is we get to have a homemade lunch together. We'd gotten into a real sandwich & chips rut over the summer so we decided to make an effort this fall & winter to make homemade soups & stews ahead of time to have instead. This week I made celeriac, potato & apple soup & this roasted pepper soup.
Roasted Pepper Soup & Sweet Potato Bread
Seriously, who wouldn't prefer this beautiful plate for lunch instead of a cold sandwich? The original recipe called for just red peppers but I used a mixture of red & yellow. I also decided to add a jalapeno to the mix to give it a little bit of a kick. I have to say I was surprised at just how good this soup was, it's rich, creamy & just a little spicy.
Olive Oil, Pepper & Sweet Potato Bread
Are you wondering about this bread? It's the Peppery Olive Oil Bread with Sweet Potato from the new Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients. We're excited to try a bunch more recipes from this book to go with our daily soups & stews. We need to head to the grocery store now to stock up on various whole grains & interesting flours.

Roasted Pepper Soup
adapted from The Big Book of Soups and Stews: 262 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food

3 large bell peppers (we used a mix of red & yellow)
1 large jalapeno
1 T olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small potato, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 t salt
1/4 t dried thyme
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
2 1/2 c chicken or vegetable stock
1 c milk or buttermilk

Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Seed & cut the peppers & jalapeno in half. Cut a few slits in them to make the pepper halves lay flat. Place in the tin foil. Put in broiler & let roast until charred, 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from broiler & wrap the peppers in the tin foil to steam. Once cooled a bit, remove the peppers from the tin foil pouch & take off the charred skins (I find this easier to do under running water). Chop roughly.

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion & sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic & let cook for a minute or two. Add the potato, salt, thyme, red pepper flakes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & cover then let simmer for about 15 minutes until the potato is tender. Add the chopped peppers & let cook another 5 - 10 minutes. Pureé in a blender or with an immersion blender. Add milk or buttermilk gently heat to serving temperature.

4 servings

The recipe recommends topping with some yogurt or sour cream. We did add some yogurt but it really didn't need it.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

17 comments:

Rose said...

We're overflowing with peppers from our CSA so I will definitely be making this soup this weekend! Thanks for the recipe.

Carrie said...

This looks awesome! I think I'll try it here soon.

Fresh Local and Best said...

Kat,

I always wondered what it would be like to work at home with my husband. It's sweet to know that one of the perks is making lunch together. I like that the recipe for the soup is chock full of vegetables. The bread looks lovely as does the soup.

George Gaston said...

Now that is one delicious looking lunch. I, too, work from home and usually try to do more than a sandwich and this will work very well for these cool autumn days. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

That soup looks wonderful and I know I will try it! In New Mexico we eat roasted green chiles a LOT and we never clean the roasted skins under running water. It may be easier, but you lose some of the wonderful pepper oils when you do that.

kat said...

Anonymous - I never knew that. Thanks for that tip. I'll avoid the running water in the future

grace said...

excellent tip from anonymous there--i had no idea!
also excellent is this soup, and i was definitely intrigued by the bread. i thought it might be hunks of carrot at first, but i'm glad it's sweet potater instead. :)

Zoë François said...

Oh wow, that soup sounds fantastic and the bread is gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for trying it, I'm just thrilled!

Zoë

Elle said...

I don't think I could choose a favorite--they both look fabulous!!

Jessica Nunemaker said...

That soup is such a pretty orange-y color -- very Fall-looking!

I might just have to try that!

PG said...

I'd love to work from home -- at least part time at home, part time in the office. The soup sounds like a nice combination.

Lori said...

I just received the book in the mailfrom Bloggeraid. I have made one of the breads. I am waiting to make a couple more before I do my full review. I have to say I LOVE THIS BOOK. When I started to read it, I said now where have you been all my life- perfect little bread book.

Your bread here looks amazing. THis is one of the ones I so want to try.

Deborah said...

I could go for a bowl of soup every day for lunch! This one sounds fantastic.

PhilB said...

Yeah, baby! Now you're talkin'. This is one of the things I love about Fall and Winter - soups and stews!

Keep 'em comin', and best wishes on relaxing together over a nice, warm soup at lunch or dinner.

Peter M said...

Kat, you have the dream life...work from home and eat together with hubz. Red pepper soup is delish and very healthy for you.

Tracey M said...

I just made the soup and it is delicious. I changed a few things only because I'm on a low carb/low sugar diet. I used a turnip instead of the potato and at the end added 2 TBS of half and half to the bowlafter I served it instead of using milk or buttermilk.

Kate Compton said...

Made this for the second time...first was a gift for a friend. She said it was wonderful. That time I had no potatoes but put in some canellini beans instead. This time I used both. All around it was a wonderful recipe, and one I'm glad to have in my repertoire. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota