Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ham & White Bean Soup

My sister sent us home with a lot of leftover Easter ham so Matt asked for ham & bean soup. He even sliced the ham up all nicely for me. Little did I know that he had sliced the ham for sandwiches & there was a bone for the soup. Oops! I guess I have the bone for another time.
Ham & White Bean Soup
Last time I made a ham & bean soup it came out too thick & I wasn't thrilled with the flavor. I was happy with how this version turned out. The broth was really flavorful with the garlic & leeks. Typically these soups have you mash some of the beans to make it thicker. I didn't do that & was much happier with the final thickness. I would even go as far as to say this soup was light for a bean soup. Things are warming up here so I hope I'm not jinxing it to say this could be the last of the cols weather soups for awhile.

Ham & White Bean Soup

1 c dry white beans (we used navy beans)
1 T olive oil
1 leek, white & light green part chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c cooked ham, chopped
3 c chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 t dried thyme

Put the beans in a pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil & let boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover & let sit for at least one hour. bring water to a simmer & simmer for 1/2 hour. Beans should be getting tender but not completely cooked. Drain & set aside.

In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the leek, carrots, celery, garlic & ham. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to get tender. Add the broth, bay leaf, thyme & beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover & simmer for 1 hour until the beans are tender.

Add more broth if needed (I needed another 1/4 c). Taste for seasoning & add salt if needed.

4 servings

10 comments:

Maria said...

I have been sick all week and nothing has sounded good until now. Wish I had some soup!

Christina Kim said...

I love the specks of chopped ham and the bright orange of the carrots. Looks verrryy tasty!

vanillasugarblog said...

It's still a bit chilly where I live and we are still eating soup, if you can believe that. I love a good bean soup as long as the ham is nice and salty.

Allen said...

The soup looks wonderful - I especially like the use of leeks. I could go for a bowl right about now :-)

Maris said...

This sounds really good - great way to use leftovers. I sure hope it's not the last of hot soups, I love hot soup :)

DocChuck said...

Here's my version: http://www.myspace.com/docchuck

grace said...

oh kat. this takes me back to my days at grad school, where one semester, my wednesday was packed from 8-8 with (thankfully) a half-hour lunch break. i would race to the cafeteria and order up a bread bowl full of ham and bean soup. it got me through the day. :)

Jennifer said...

This is a great healthy recipe. I would lvoe to have made a soup like this but the kids ate of the leftover ham before I could even make plans for it.

Peter M said...

I suppose, with you living in Minn. you can squeeze a couple of more soups...this one's a meal...just need a grilled cheese sammy.

DocChuck said...

Sorry, folks

Please DISREGARD the link I posted.

I recently discovered a rather embarassing mistake in the recipe and wouldn't want y'all to be disappointed.

Cheers,
Chuck, PhD

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota