Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Risotto with Sausage and Greens

Matt marked this risotto recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetite, as he said its risotto & sausage together, what's not to love. Risotto is one of those dishes I make typically without a recipe just changing the items in it based on what I have on hand. I found this recipe interesting because it didn't have you keep the stock warm as you added it to the rice. I always thought you had to keep the stock at the same temperature as rice but if this worked it would save me from dirtying another pan.
Risotto with Sausage & Greens
It did work. I think maybe it took slightly longer for the rice to absorb the stock but maybe just 5 minutes or so so not a big deal. So, that basically makes this dish a one pot meal & I'm all for that being the one who does the dishes. The best thing is the final result was really delicious. I do feel that the greens were really lost in the dish though, next time I'd add a little more & I would put them in a little later in the cooking process.

Risotto with Sausage & Greens
(adapted from Bon Appetite May '09)

6-oz Swiss chard, stem removed & leaves chopped to about 1-inch (I actually think this could be doubled)
1/2 T unsalted butter
1/2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6-oz bulk Italian sausage
3/4 c arborio rice
1/2 c white wine
2 1/2 c chicken stock or broth
6 T grated parmesan
salt & pepper

Blanch the chard in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain & set aside.

In a large sauce pan heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter & the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion & garlic, cook until the onion is translucent. Add the sauce & cook until browned about 3 minutes. Add the rice & stir for 1 minute. Pour in the wine & cook while stirring until absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of the stock & cook while stirring until absorbed. Add the rest of the broth 1/4 cup at a time, adding the next addition only after the previous one has been absorbed, about 25 - 30 minutes total. If you want the greens to be really soft & cooked in add them on about 10 minutes into cooking, if you prefer them to have a little more texture add them closer to the end of the cooking time. Stir in the cheese & season with salt & pepper.

2 servings

15 comments:

Maria said...

Looks good! I haven't made risotto in awhile, I better add it to the menu and soon!

LoveFeast said...

I love risotto any way it comes!! You're making me hungry for a bowl!

Anemone said...

My husband and I make something very similar that would be a quicker alternative: Sausage, greens and hominy.

Basically:
Cook sausage and drain (we really like sage, but pick your favorite)
Cook diced onions
add frozen or fresh spinach and cook slightly (could modify for other greens - we like beet greens too)
Add hominy and sausage cook a few minutes to blend flavors.

Salt and Pepper to taste and you are done!

(We will have to try this sometime as well as i bet it is great too!)

Maris said...

I really need to make risotto. I know it's easy I just haven't gotten around to it. Perfect one-dish meal.

Zita said...

Yum...rissoto is one of my all time favorite quick meals, yours looks so delicious :)

vanillasugarblog said...

yes, what's not to love when you combine these two. everything tasty all in one bowl. easy.

Giff said...

we both had risotto on the brain the other day it seems :) While normally I'm all for efficiency in the kitchen, especially cleaning department, I've stuck with hot broth and a constant stir. Been happier with results that way.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That reminds me of a Chinese congee - best hangover cure in the world and comforting under any circumstances. I really want to try this.

Thistlemoon said...

Sausage and greens is one of my favorite combinations!

Dragon said...

I love a warm creamy risotto. This look so good.

Lori said...

I love risotto. I've only started eating within the last five years and I have no idea how I did without it! :) It is great to know about the room temp stock.

Christina Kim said...

Risotto is one of my all time favorite comfort foods!! Sometimes I use barley instead of arborio rice, it adds a lot of extra fiber! I love the addition of swiss chard to this risotto.

Lori said...

I really dont make enough risotto. I need to make it more. This looks filling and tastey!

Sam said...

I'm all for less washing up! This sounds really tasty too!

Peter M said...

One of the best things about risotto is popping the wine open, sipping and stirring til dinner's ready.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota