Friday, April 3, 2009

Mac & Blue Cheese for One

I had a bunch of wonderful blue cheese, St. Pete's Select from Fairbault, MN, leftover from last weekend's beer tasting so I decided to make myself some Mac & Blue Cheese with it. Blue Cheese really dresses up a basic mac & cheese by adding a sharp, tangy flavor. I would have liked to have put some caramelized onions in this but I didn't have any onions in the house so, I tried caramelizing some shallots. They just didn't get that same sweet flavor onions get from slow cooking so I left them out.
#88 - Mac & Blue Cheese
This is not really much different than my Grown Up Macaroni & Cheese recipe I've shared in the past but I thought it thought it was worth sharing the directions for making a single serving. I don't know about you but the times I'm eating alone are often the times I crave some good comfort food.

Mac & Blue Cheese for One

3 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked & drained
1 t unsalted butter
2 t all-purpose flour
1/4 c milk
2 T half & half
1.5 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 oz blue cheese, grated or crumbled
pinch of dry mustard
salt & pepper
panko

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour & stir while cooking for 1 minute, do not let it brown. Slowly whisk in the milk & half & half. Stir until smooth & slightly thickened, about a minute. Turn the heat to low & add the cheese. Stir until melted. Season with the dry mustard, salt & pepper.

Mix the cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni. Spoon into a two cup ramekin. Sprinkle the top with panko. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly & the top is golden brown.

1 serving

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Nothing quite like the taste of blue cheese in mac & cheese. A must in our household.
Love this!

Kasey said...

Wow, I love the idea of adding blue cheese to the regular version. I recently bought some quinoa elbows--wonder if I could use them in this recipe?

Lori said...

That certainly is comfort food. I too like the idea of blue cheese in the mac and cheese. Perk it up a bit.

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Mmmmmmmm! Yummy! I never thought of adding bleu cheese to mac and cheese, but I bet it's delicious!

Thanks for sharing your recipe for one!

:) K

Dragon said...

Now this is my kind of mac and cheese!

Giff said...

can never ever ever ever have enough mac n cheese (at least, the grown up versions!)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Caramelised onions and blue cheese are what I put in a very, very special mac & cheese. Well done for treating yourself while Matt is away!

grace said...

um...one serving of this would in no way be sufficient. :)

Deborah said...

I've always wanted to try blue cheese in a mac and cheese - this one sounds wonderful!

Peter M said...

I adore mac n cheese and adding some blue into the mix is quite fine by me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota