Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spaghetti with Tomato & Olive Sauce

We need a quick meal on Wednesday nights because Matt has a Twin Cities Makers meeting in the evening. This week we decided to use some of the meatballs we had frozen for spaghetti & meatballs.
IMG_2601
Matt suggested he make a sauce rather than just buy something in a jar. He wanted to add a little extra flavor to the sauce so he picked up some Kalamata olives at the deli. I suggested we add some of the capers we've had sitting unopen in the pantry to up that briney flavor. I wish we could have used fresh tomatoes but it way too early here in MN so we used the best canned ones we know, Muir Glen fire roasted. This sauce had a really wonderful flavor & was a nice switch from a plain tomato sauce.

We used meatballs in this dish because we had them on hand. We browned them & then let them cook in the sauce as it was simmering. The sauce does not need the meatballs at all though.

Tomato & Olive Sauce

1 T olive oil
12 Kalamata olives, pitted & rough chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 t dried oregano
1 T red wine vinegar
1 14-oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 T capers
1 t sugar

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the olives, onions & garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Stir in red wine vinegar & oregano. Add the tomatoes, capers & sugar. Stir. Cover & simmer for 30 minutes.

2 servings

11 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
Throw in some anchovies (which disolve) and you have a puttanesca......Matt wouldn't even notice!

Dewi said...

I love the simplicity of this recipe, and I know that I like it already because of the capers.
Cheers,
elra

Jennifer said...

I never buy bottled sauces anymore, its so much cheaper and you can make so many variations!

Great idea for freezing the meatballs so you can whip those out on a fast night!

It looks amazing!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love the little salty bite that olives and capers add to a tomato sauce - and I can imagine how good it was with the meatballs.

Sharon said...

I can always use a new pasta sauce recipe! How amazing are fire roasted tomatoes?

Deborah said...

I've been using a lot of fire roasted tomatoes lately. Yum!

Lori said...

This sauce sounds great! I love olives. I've just recently started making my own sauce and I doubt I'll ever go back to the jar. So glad to have this variation. Yum!

The Food Hunter said...

This looks delicious. Perfect week night sauce.

Peter M said...

Yeah, like Stace said...this is almost a Puttanesca...costs less too! lol

Justin said...

why is it that olives make everything awesome? or is that just me?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota