Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Harvest Pizza on Honey Wheat Crust

When I was in college back in Ohio there was a pizza place near me that had the best wheat crust. It was not to heavy & slightly sweet. I was making pizza crust for dinner when I suddenly remember that crust & decided to try to replicate it at home. I thought the secret might be honey & I was right, this crust came out pretty darn close (there's may have had a touch of cinnamon in the original, as strange as that might sound.)
Summer Harvest Pizza on Honey Wheat Crust
Matt suggested we top the pizza with some of the fresh summer vegetables that are filling our fridge. We started with a layer of grated Fontina cheese. That was topped with a sweet onion from the farmer's market that I caramelized. Next came fresh sweet corn kernels straight off the cob, not need to cook them first. That was all topped with halved cherry tomatoes & pieces of raw zucchini. This was the tastiest pizza. I think sweet corn may be my new favorite pizza topping.

Honey Wheat Pizza Dough

3/4 c warm water, no hotter than 110 F
1/2 t rapid rise yeast
1 heaping T honey
1/2 t garlic powder
1 T olive oil
1/3 c wheat bran
2+ c all-purpose flour

Stir the water, yeast, honey, garlic powder & olive oil together. Stir in wheat bran. Stir in the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Once you can't stir it in anymore dump it on a floured surface & begin kneading it. Knead in more flour until you have a soft, smooth dough that isn't sticky (I do the window pane test.) Oil a bowl & put the dough in it. Turn to coat. Cover with a towel & place in a warm place to rise. Let rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Oil a baking pan. Spread the dough out & cover with toppings. Bake at 450 F until browned about 15 minutes.

Makes 1 pizza

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh yes! This looks sooo good. We just had our first sweet corn (grilled) this weekend with the in-laws and now I want it on everything!!

Christina Kim said...

This looks like the perfect summer pizza!

Anonymous said...

*drool* The Hippy and I are always on the look out for an excellent pizza crust. And your pizza looks a lot better than the stuff he brought home from Z Pizza last night. If I can't ID it, I won't eat it.

Stacy and Brian's Adventures in Life said...

Yum! I grilled my first pizza last night. Thanks for sharing. Stacy

grace said...

cinnamon in pizza dough? now THERE'S an awesome concept. i like the idea of honey, too, and your pizza is gorgeous.

Kirby! said...

Honey wheat is my absolute favorite kind of pizza dough, but I have never thought to make it! This recipe looks super easy... will give it a try on my next pizza night!!

Lori said...

Theres something about honey and wheat. And in the King Arthur whole grain baking , they suggest orange juice as well. I think cinnamon would be great in there too.

Isnt fun to try and replicate something. Yup, I know, I am a food geek.

vanillasugarblog said...

man that crust looks good. I haven't tried fontina on pizza, I must.

Deborah said...

This would be a great way to use up some of the veggies from my garden!

Maris said...

This sounds really great! I love making my own pizza and the fontina cheese sound like a great add.

How long do you usually knead for?

I have never once had dough pass the windowpane test. I always thought it was a myth!

kat said...

Maris - I usually knead for a least 10 minutes sometimes longer. The windowpane test can happen ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota