Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Faux Fried Chicken and Hoecakes

Matt pointed out Art Smith's recipe for Barbecue Chicken Hoecakes in this month's Bon Appetit to me while I was planning this week's menu. He said he was mostly interested in the hoecakes. I thought they would be good with a little maple syrup in them with some fried chicken, I don't know why but it made me think of chicken & waffles.
Faux Fried Chicken & hoecakes
For the chicken, I cooked up two breasts using this Faux Fried Chicken method. I kept the seasoning simple by just adding salt, pepper & fresh thyme to the breading. This is really just the best baked chicken.

We ended up having to make the hoecakes twice. The first time the batter was just too runny & never set while cooking. The second time we added more flour & that seemed to do the trick. They were really tasty with the chicken. Matt said it was like a quick version of cornbread & he liked them with butter. I though they were good just eaten with a piece of chicken, though a little more maple syrup would be good too.

Maple Hoecakes
(adapted from an Art Smith Recipe in Bon Appetit Sept. '09)

1/4 c yellow cornmeal
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 t sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 c water
1 t maple syrup
1/2 T unsalted butter, melted

Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Whisk in the water, maple syrup and melted butter.

Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Coat it with a little butter. Spoon the cornmeal batter on into four pancakes, spreading the dough out. Allow to cook until brown & then flip & cook until the other side is brown, about 5 minutes total.

Makes 4 cakes.

Matt made the Creamed Chard side dish & it was wonderful. He sautéed chopped chard leaves with some crushed garlic until wilted. Then he mixed in some half & half & Parmesan cheese. Let it reduce a bit & its ready.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Maria said...

Never had a hoecakes, but I think I better add them to my list:)

HungryinSW said...

OK, I know I'm thinking WAY too far ahead, but every year my family does a winter BBQ (we are lucky enough to have a pit in the house!) to remind us that summer will come eventually, and I think these hoecakes just made the menu!

kat said...

HungryinSW - In Bon Appetit they served theirs with bbqed chicken & a slaw so I think it'll be perfect for your winter bbq

George Gaston said...

It is always a treat to see “what’s cooking” here at A Good Appetite. And this meal is a prizewinner; especially the Hoecakes & Creamed Chard.

I remember a great-aunt made hoecakes several times a week, as her bread at each meal. They were always delicious with melted butter and her homemade jams.

I really like your blog and wonderful varied recipes. Many thanks…

Manisha said...

Hi Kat,

I was wondering what you think about powdered buttermilk? I have a difficult time using up buttermilk when I buy it fresh. Just the other day, someone suggested I try the powered version. I just picked up some today to try your chicken recipe. Do you think it will make much of a difference?

Thanks,
lotus

kat said...

Lotus - I use powdered milk to make cheese & it works just fine. I've never used powdered buttermilk but I don't see what difference it would make. Just mix it up full strength.

Pam said...

I've never had hoecakes before but I am certain I would love these.

Kristin said...

I've never even heard of hoecakes but they sound delicious!!! Have you ever made Johnnycakes?

grace said...

LOVE art smith, LOVE chicken & waffles (YES!), LOVE this version of hoecakes. this is what i call a down-home, stellar meal.

Lori said...

I made a type of hoe cake on my site... about four months or so ago. It has corn and onion in it as well. I have to say that I have made it a million times since.

I never heard the term hoecakes before but now I am seeing it all over.

I need to check out that faux fried chicken.

Peter M said...

The little boy in me is giggling at the word "hoecakes". There's nothing faux about this chicken and after seeing a doc on Art Smith last night, I appreciate him even more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota