Thursday, September 23, 2010

Indian-Spiced Pot Pie

The other day I was chatting with someone on Twitter who was making an Indian pot pie. I immediately thought "that is something I want to make." So, on to this week's menu it went.
Indian-Spiced Veggie Pot Pie
I made a really quick sweet potato curry as the filling for the pie. The filling has a nice creaminess thanks to the coconut milk but I think you could use some cream & get the same effect. Last minute I threw in some golden raisins to add some sweetness which was really a nice addition.
Filling for Indian-Spiced Veggie Pot Pie
I was feeling pretty confident lately about my crust making skills but I had a lot of problems with this batch. It tasted really good & was nice & flaky but it was so tender it broke off the sides of the ramekins while cooking. I've never had this happen before. I think perhaps there was a little to much butter it in.

Indian-Spiced Pot Pie

1 T vegetable oil
1 c peeled, diced sweet potatoes
1 large carrot, diced
1 small onion, sliced
1 T curry powder
salt & pepper
1 T flour
1 c chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 c coconut milk
1 T mango chutney
1/4 c frozen peas
2 T golden raisins
Pie Crust (use your favorite butter pastry recipe or some store bought pie crust)
1 beaten egg

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato & carrot. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the onion, curry powder & some salt & pepper. Cook until the onion is starting to get tender. Sprinkle the flour over everything & cook while stirring for a minute. Add the stock, coconut milk & chutney. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & let simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes stirring from time to time, until the sweet potato is tender & the sauce is thickened. Stir in the peas & raisins. Divide between two ramekins (the ones I use hold about 1 1/2 cups).

Preheat oven to 400F.

Divide the pie crust into two discs & roll them out until about 1/8-inch thick & 1-inch wider than the ramekins. Brush a little beaten egg around the edge of the ramekins. Drape the dough over the ramekins allowing to drape about an inch over the sides. Brush with the beaten egg. Piece the crusts a few times with a fork or sharp knife. Place the pies on a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.

Makes 2 individual pot pies.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds kind of like a samosa turned into pot pie! Yum!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh wouldn't these be good for a last minute meal? all the flavors i love in a pie.

Manisha said...

I've always done my pot pies with Indian spices, but never with coconut milk. Good tip! Can't wait to try it! Another thing I will do is make a little OM on the pot pie with leftover crust scraps. Just adds a little bit of fun.

Amy P. said...

This sounds divine, especially on a rainy night like tonight. I love the combination of Indian spices, they're exotic yet comforting at the same time.

Deborah said...

This makes me think that there are so many different variations you could make with a pot pie!

nowinvisibly said...

How much would you increase this recipe to put in a 8-9" pie plate? Double it?

Sounds yummy!

kat said...

Nowinvisibly - I don't think you'd have to increase it that much, depending on the depth of the pie plate, maybe only by 50%

nowinvisibly said...

Definitely going on my "to make" list for this weekend. Thanks for the conversion help!

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Yum, sounds sooo good!!!

Amy said...

Great idea! Can't wait to try it!

Lori said...

I'm on a bit of an Indian cuisine kick and just made a dish tonight. This is one I have to try. Love the pot pie idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota