Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash

Last weekend Matt & I went to Northeast Social for dinner. I torn between ordering their gnocchi dish or the filet minion special. The filet won because I figured I could easily do my own take on the gnocchi at home. So, here it is....
Gnocchi with Brussels Sprout & Butternut Squash
Gnocchi mixed with roast brussels sprouts, butternut squash, & onions, walnuts & cranberries then topped with a sage cream sauce. I have no idea if it was really anything like the one at Northeast Social but it sure was tasty, not to mention colorful & full of different textures. Roasting the vegetables really brings out the best in their flavor, especially the brussels sprouts, which I think roasting tones any bitterness down.  The subtly flavored sauce holds everything together with its creamy goodness. Its the kind of dish that could easily become a staple in our house through fall & winter.

Other than the time it takes to roast the vegetables, which is pretty much hands off, this meal comes together super quickly. Even quicker if like me you used store-bought gnocchi.

Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash in Sage Cream Sauce

8 oz butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 brussels sprouts, cut in half
half a white or yellow onion, but into wedges
1 T olive oil
kosher salt
1/2 T unsalted butter
20 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1/2 c white wine
2/3 c heavy cream
freshly ground pepper
pinch of nutmeg
8 oz gnocchi
2 T chopped walnuts
2 T dried cranberries
grated Parmesan (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F.

Put the butternut squash, brussels sprouts & onions in a small roasting pan. Add the olive oil & a sprinkle of salt. Stir to coat. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes until the squash is soft & the brussels sprouts & onions are starting to brown. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sage, white wine & cream. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer until reduced to about 3/4 cup & slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with a salt, a generous amount of pepper & a pinch of nutmeg. Stir in the roasted vegetables, walnuts & cranberries. Warm through.

Cook gnocchi according to directions. Drain & stir in with sauce. Serve with grated Parmesan if desired.

Makes 2 servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I think I'm in love with you!!! You spoke to my heart with this one. So good!!!

Elle said...

I'd definitely try brussels sprouts this way!

Megan said...

I know I would love this dish. I love everyone of it's components. You hit it out of the ballpark with this recipe! Well done!!!

Natalie @ hellonatalie said...

I'm loving the gnocchi recipe! I was looking for a great way to use brussel sprouts since I've never made them and I think i'll try it this way!

snippets of thyme said...

This is definitely going to go on my "to cook" list. I love the flavor and aroma of sage with butternut squash. Yum.

SMITH BITES said...

oh yes, gnocchi WITH brussels sprouts AND butternut squash - love every single thing about this dish!!!

LauraHelen said...

Wow. I actually have ALL of these ingredients in my house right now. How crazy is that?! Even the fresh sage, which I've never purchased before.

I know what I'm making tonight!! =D

Lori said...

Looks creamy, dreamy and delicious.

Johnna Vogelbacher said...

Wow! I can't wait to make this dish this weekend! I loovvee brussels sprouts and gnocchi!

snippets of thyme said...

Kat, I received "The Versatile Blogger" award last week. I am to choose 7 bloggers to pass the award on to. I have chosen yours! I like the dishes you have posted and your style of writing. I posted the "guidelines" on today's blog. Have fun with this!

grace said...

good call, opting for the filet. however, i'd be hard-pressed to choose between any filet if this particular gnocchi was the other choice!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Wow,this gnocchi dish looks great! I love all the flavors!

Alicia Foodycat said...

What an amazing dish! It sounds lovely.

Lori said...

My ordering process when we eat out tends to go the same way. If I can recreate it, I'll go with my other choice. This looks delicious! I am always looking for new uses for Brussels Sprouts.

Anonymous said...

Just made this dish and it was a really fantastic way to eat Brussels sprouts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota