Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chili Verde Hotdish

Typically, we spend Saturdays running all sorts of errands and don't feel like cooking once dinner time comes around. This weekend though, Matt suggested we make something simple using the chili verde sauce that was in the freezer & the chicken breasts in the fridge. I had forgotten all about that fantastic chili verde sauce, I was sold. Our original thought was to get some tortillas but then, Matt asked if there was anyway to turn it into a hotdish...I think he's become a true Minnesotan.
Chili Verde Hotdish
If you have some prepared chili verde sauce, you cannot get much simpler than this dish. (Well, I guess if you have some leftover cooked chicken, it would even be simpler.) You could also buy jarred chili verde sauce or substitute tomatillo salsa instead of making your own. The resulting dish is pure comfort food with a Mexican twist.

Chili Verde Hotdish

1/2 T olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt & pepper
1 c uncooked white rice
2 c chili verde sauce
1/2 c water
cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken & sauté until cooked through.

Mix the chicken with the rice, chili verde sauce & water. Put into a baking dish. Cover with tin foil or top, if the dish has one, & back for about 40 minutes, until the rice is tender. Remove cover & sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Bake for 10 more minutes until the cheese is melted & bubbly.

Serve with sour cream & hot sauce.

Makes 4 - 5 servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

8 comments:

Elle said...

I love this like you don't even know. Chile verde with chicken is an all time favorite for me! I'd have gone the tortilla route at first, too-but any way you end up having it--it's going to be good. Stumbled!

vanillasugarblog said...

its sad really how much i do not make chili verde but need to. its really so simple and large batches can easily be made lol
i love this paired with almost anything.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

You read my mind, these are a few of my favorite things! I love basmati rice with anything verde and chicken. I think I will be amking this tomorrow :) PS- Crossing fingy's for no snow tomorrow!

grace said...

this is most definitely comfort food at its finest and most sloppy. oh-so-appetizing work, kat!

Paul Jennette said...

As of lately I can not get enough of anything Chili Verde! I'm in Illinois so comfort food is still in big need around here.Hopefully only for a few more weeks.
Thanks
Paul

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

I love chili verde! This is a great dish!

Lori said...

I can't imagine eating anything cold with the temps you all get! :)

I've got to make some of that sauce. This looks so good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This just looks gorgeous and comforting and lovely! Yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota