Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Spring Sweet Pea and Green Garlic Pasta

Seems like we just got home from vacation and Matt is already flying off for work leaving me to fend for myself. Luckily, the farmers market this week had the first of the spring vegetables to inspire me to eat well even though solo. That's a good thing since I've been known to resort to a bag of microwave popcorn for single girl dinners (oh come on, you know you've done it too!).
Spring Sweet Pea and Green Garlic Pasta
I had picked up a bag of the most beautiful little pea pods which were perfectly sweet and tender when eaten whole. They would be great in a stir-fry but, I really wanted to spotlight them in a simple creamy pasta, something that would say spring in a bowl. The cream sauce is flavored with spring onions and green garlic, both which have a milder flavor than their full grown counterparts which means they won't overpower the sweet peas. It's also a super quick dish, with prep and cooking the pasta, it was ready to eat in less than 15 minutes which is great in this nice weather when we'd rather be outside than in the kitchen.

Spring Sweet Pea and Green Garlic Pasta
(if you can't get spring onions or green garlic, you can of course use regular, it just may have a more pungent flavor.)

2 oz penne pasta
1 T unsalted butter
1 spring onion, sliced
1 green garlic, chopped (if you can't get green garlic try garlic scapes)
1 c sweet pea pods, strings removed
1/2 t white wine vinegar
1 1/2 t all-purpose flour
1/3 c half & half
pinch of dried thyme
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Put the pasta in to boil per the directions on the box.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-hugh heat. Add the white part of the onion (setting aside the green parts for later)and the garlic. Sauté until tender about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Add the pea pods and sauté for about another minute until bright green but still crisp. Stir in the vinegar. Sprinkle the flour over everything and stir for 1 minute. Add the half & half, reserved green parts of the onion, thyme, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir while boiling until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds. Taste for seasoning.

Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce.

1 serving but easy increased to feed more.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

9 comments:

Elle said...

Oh man, this looks divine! I love simple and fresh pasta meals like this. Perfect!

Amy P. said...

This looks amazing, Kathy, even cooler that I have all of these ingredients on hand (was wondering what I should do with the green garlic I bought this weekend). I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight...

kat said...

Amy - I'm going to whip the rest of it up into a pesto taday.

Chris and Amy said...

Love to use spring vegetables and herbs. This looks wonderful.

Kris said...

Yes, guilty as charged. Although I'm much more likely to head over to Dairy Queen and call a Blizzard my dinner.
The dish looks delicious!

Erecipe said...

this is perfect pasta with sweet pea wow, it is one of my favorite vegi. I am impressed because you didn't put cream for this pasta. great for weight watchers

Lori said...

I've got some single girl dinners coming up this week and since Dan can't stand for a pea to touch is plate, this is perfect for me! :)

Fresh Local and Best said...

I'm all too familiar with the single dinners. :) Sometimes, it's just easier.

I love the Spring inspiration of peas and green garlic in this pasta.

grace said...

what a wonderful way to enjoy the bounty of spring! it has a terrific fresh look about it--well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota