Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Green Curry Chicken

I'm trying to be more experimental with food, especially curries, these days. I know Matt is missing some of these things that he would have for lunch back in California. (We really need to try some of the ethnic restaurants here in Minneapolis.) I saw this Green Curry Shrimp recipe on Posie Gets Cozy & thought I'd give it a try. I know that green curry is pretty mild which is good for wimpy me. I decided to use chicken instead of shrimp so I had to change when the protein is added since chicken takes longer to cook than shrimp. Also her recipe had red pepper in the ingredients but never had them added to the curry so I just took a guess when to add them. Finally, we felt 1 tablespoon of curry was no where near enough flavor. We ended up adding 3 which is actually what the curry jar said was the right amount for two cans of coconut milk. I'm betting every curry paste is different though. So here is my adaptation for Green Curry Chicken.
Green Chicken Curry Parts

1 T unsalted butter
1 T olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt & pepper
1 red pepper, diced (no ribbing please! — red parts only)
1 head broccoli florets
1 Japanese eggplant, sliced then cut into quarters
2 14-oz cans light coconut milk
3 T. green curry paste
1 c. frozen peas
1 small can bamboo shoots (julienned)

Heat butter & olive oil over med-low heat in a large soup pot. Sauté shallot and onion until translucent. Add garlic and chicken and cook until chicken is almost done, about 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Add broccoli florets & red pepper, sauté until almost tender. Add eggplant and sauté a few minutes more, chicken should be fully cooked at this point. Add curry paste and stir until everything is coated, then add coconut milk and stir until combined. Don't boil, just simmer until hot. Add peas and bamboo shoots and heat through. Serve over hot jasmine rice.
Green Chicken Curry

Even with the addition of more curry paste I still found this a little bland. Matt said it tastes exactly like green curry should so maybe I had a different expectation. If we made this again we would leave out the eggplant as neither of us really cared for the texture in this. Perhaps next time I'll try yellow curry & see if that has a little more of the zing I'm looking for.

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

I love curries too, but green has never really been my favorite. I am not sure why - I mean I do enjoy it...but like you said, I never really found the right recipe or something...oh well, live and learn, right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota