Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekly Menu 3/8 - 3/13/10

I went to a birthday party at one of our favorite local restaurants, Corner Table, this weekend. All the wonderful food had a Southern flair with brisket, ribs, pulled pork sandwiches & parsnip spoonbread with red eye gravy. The hit of the party had to be that bright red jar of Kool-aid picked eggs.
#65 - Kool-aid Pickled Egg
I'd heard of Koolickles, pickles made wit Kool-aid but never Kool-aid pickled eggs. The color is just out of the world.
Kool-aid Pickled Eggs
I was actually surprised how everyone was so daring & willing to try these. As for the taste. It was like a pickle with real sweet side to it. The richness of the egg yolk was a good counterpoint to the sweetness. I liked the way they tasted at first but the fruity sweetness actually started to be too much towards the end of the egg. It was certainly interesting to try but I don't think I'll be searching them out again.

On to Menu Planning Monday...

Kind of a comfort food menu this week.

Rosted Carrot Pasta

Chorizo, Potato & Kale Soup

Sausage & Spinach Lasagna

Ad Hoc Grilled Cheese Sandwich & Tomato Soup

Italian Meatloaf

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

5 comments:

Lori said...

I've never heard of anything pickled with kool-aid. Ha! What a wild combo. Hurry up with that soup. I have a huge bag of taters to use up and that sounds so good! :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what you can do with Kool-Aid? =)

More seriously, I like the photo you got of the egg. Great colors.

Kate said...

I'm game to try most anything pickled, except eggs. I just can't. But the photo is rather pretty.....

Lori said...

I love pickled eggs and after Easter, I see them in my future.

I have never heard of these.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Pickled in kool aid? Um... maybe not. But Paul has been on at me to make some regular pickled eggs, and I see them in my future!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota