Thursday, July 1, 2010

Black Bean and Potato Tacos

I am absolutely in love with the Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos that the Chef Shack has been serving at the KIngfield Farmers Market lately. I didn't get them this past week because I was too tempted by the Pig's Ear Salad so Matt suggested we try making a potato & bean taco of our own this week.
Black Bean & Potato Tacos
Our version is more savory because we use potatoes instead of sweet potatoes but it was down right tasty none the less. I like the soft texture of the potatoes & beans against the crisp radish & scallion toppings. Yes, radishes on tacos. I wouldn't have thought of it either but that crisp zestiness is really perfect. We used the Frontera Quajilla Salsa which really has a wonderful smokiness that added a lot of mellow flavor, it was my first time trying it & it was so good I thought it was worth mentioning. We'll be making these quick vegetarian tacos again throughout the summer, I especially want to try them with a little MN sweet corn added to the filling, yum.

Black Bean & Potato Tacos

Filling
6 new potatoes
2 T canola oil
1/2 - 3/4 c canned or cooked black beans (start with a heaping 1/4 c dry if you are cooking them up yourself)
1/2 t Mexican oregano
1/2 t ancho chili powder
1/2 t salt

5 taco-sized tortillas

Toppings
sliced radishes
salsa
sliced scallions
queso fresca (we actually used feta because we had it & it was great)
sour cream

Halve the potatoes & cook them in a pot of salted boiling water until just tender about 20 minutes. Drain & let cool until they can be handled. Cut each half into 4 pieces.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the beans, potatoes, oregano, ancho powder & salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes until everything is coated with seasoning & hot.

Divide the filling between the 5 tortillas & add toppings.

Makes 5 tacos.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

7 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

we just made a sweet potato version, and i have to say i am hooked. it's a great way to get protein and so easy to make on those hot summer days.

Tangled Noodle said...

When it comes to tacos, I'm definitely carnivorous but this is just too good to pas up! I've had Chef Shack's lengua tacos and their condiments are so spectacular - I think it's time to pay them a visit again. Love everything in here but thank you in particular for highlighting the radishes - they are a must-try!

Laurel C. said...

this is now high on my to try list. looks like a great budget friendly meal. add some corn on the cob and fresh watermelon for a real feast.

Deborah said...

Now I just need to do a taco night!

grace said...

potatoes and radishes...in a taco? that seems totally random to me. randomly awesome, in fact. crunch and toothiness and lots of good flavor--bravo!

Lori said...

My Mexican friend years ago always topped her posole with fresh radishes. I lvoed the way it played off the other ingredients, along with the cabbage. WOuldnt have thought of it either but now I really like to use radishes with tacos too.

I have not tried potatoes in my tacos yet. Next time, I will give this a try.

Lori said...

These look delicious! I don't think of potatoes in tacos much, but what a great idea! We are set to get a ton in the garden soon so this dish will be perfect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota