Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Creamy Strawberry Pie

Strawberries are in season here in Minnesota so, I knew I wanted to use them my Fourth of July dessert. Since I had a lot of things to cook that day, it had to be pretty simple dessert. This pie was just the ticket, easy and quick to make plus fresh and cool for a hot summer night.
4th of July
The only thing baked here is the crust which, ok shoot me, I bought at the store. The base is made just by whipping together cream cheese and mascarpone with vanilla, sugar and lemon juice (oh, that lemon juice really brightens the whole thing). Then it's just a matter of adding some sliced strawberries and a little melted jam. It firms up a bit with chilling but remains really creamy. I can't believe how much it tasted like a cheese cake without the baking, water bath or worrying about cracking. This is one we'll have all summer with different fruits as they come into season.
Creamy Strawberry Pie

Creamy Strawberry Pie
I used a store bought pastry pie shell for this pie, it would also be fantastic with a graham cracker or shortbread crust.

9-inch pie shell
8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temp
8 oz mascarpone cheese, softened at room temp
1 t vanilla
3 T heavy cream
1/4 c white sugar
2 t lemon juice
strawberries, hulled and halved (amount will depend on the size of your berries)
1/4 - 1/2 c red jam such as currant or strawberry (I used my homemade strawberry vanilla jam.)

Cook your pie shell according to directions. Let cool.

Whip the cream cheese, marscarpone, vanilla, heavy cream, sugar and lemon juice together until blended and light. Spoon into the cooled crust and spread into an even layer. Let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Top the chilled pie with halved strawberries. Put the jam into a small microwavable bowl. Microwave until the jam in warmed and slightly liquid, about 30 seconds. Brush all over the top of the berries letting it fill in the spaces between berries.

Chill for at least another hour before serving. We actually thought it was better after being in the fridge overnight.

Makes 1 pie

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

12 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I really have to make one of these! It looks amazing!

Barbara said...

That's a lovely pie! Really like the combo of mascarpone and cream cheese!

vanillasugarblog said...

isn't mascarpone cheese the best? i love using it in pies.

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Oh wow, that looks seriously delish. I would eat that filling straight out of a bowl!

Lori said...

When the weather is hot- I am also guilty of buying prebaked crusts. I hate turning on my oven in the summer. I avoid it at all cost.

Taste and Tell said...

Yum! We actually just picked a big bowl of strawberries and I was trying to figure out what to do with them!

Chris and Amy said...

Bet the marscapone and lemon juice really add a lot of flavor. We have lots of berries around...we'll have to try this!

Robyn said...

Oooo, I love minimal bake desserts!

Unknown said...

I made this for work today with Crave Brothers mascarpone. It was delicious! Thank you for posting and for being from MN. Go Gophers!

Elle said...

Oh my gosh, this looks fabulous, Kathy! I love that it's like cheesecake without all of the cheesecake headaches. Love!

grace said...

oh, you're most definitely forgiven for buying a crust--this is an amazing pie! so much creaminess, so much flavor. well done. :)

Jess said...

This sounds AMAZING. I love the idea of cream cheese and mascarpone whipped together for the filling. Mmmmm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota