Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spicy Peanut Noodles

This recipe came from a cookbook called The After Work Cookbook which I believe is now out of print. I was looking for recipes to use some of the chicken that was leftover from Sunday's roast. Interestingly enough this is called Spicy yet there was nothing spicy in the ingredients so I added a good pinch of crushed red pepper flakes & Matt added some Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce to his. This was a good tasting quick meal but I felt the sesame oil really over-powered the peanut flavor so next time I will halve the sesame oil & add a little more peanut butter.
Spicy Peanut Noodles

1 lb Chinese noodles (this was a little vague, we used chow mein noodles)
1 T peanut oil
1 lb chicken cut into bite sized pieces (we used pre-cooked chicken)
1 T peanut butter (I'd use 2 T)
juice from 1/2 lime
2 T sesame oil (I'd cut this to 1 T)
1/4 c fish sauce
2 T soy sauce
1/2 t brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 scallions, chopped
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1/3 c peanuts

Cook noodles according to directions on package. Drain & set aside. Meanwhile heat peanut oil in a wok over med-high heat. Add chicken & sauté until cooked (if using cooked chicken just sauté until heated). In a small bowl combine peanut butter, lime juice, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, red pepper flakes & scallions. Add sauce & cooked noodles to the wok. Toss to coat everything & heat through. Serve with peanuts on top.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sesame oil can be overpowering
-kingdufus

Anonymous said...

I love spicy food and peanuts. This must be delicious!

kat said...

King - I totally hear you there. Hopefully my changes to the recipe for next time will help.

Unknown said...

This was one of my favourite recipes for years and after a bit of fiddling I had also doubled the peanut butter. My family liked it better that way but sometimes still find it a little salty which I think is due to the soy sauce I use. Believe it or not it also tastes great with oyster sauce!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota