Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rhubarb Phyllo Nests

This little individual tart-like dessert came about because I had an open package of phyllo left over from making the Potato, Parsnip & Ramp Tart plus some fresh rhubarb from our latest CSA box.
Rhubarb Phyllo Nest
I'd seem Kris at To be Mrs. Marv make a crust like this once but didn't remember exactly how she did it. So, I kind of winged it. I knew it would need butter to get the crusts to stay together & that I wanted to flavor it with cinnamon & sugar. From there I just sort of eyeballed the amounts. I was worried the crust would be soggy under the rhubarb but it got really crispy & was great with the soft rhubarb. These go together really quickly for a quick, cute dessert. I'll be experimenting with this again next time I have left over phyllo.

Rhubarb Phyllo Nests

4 - 5 oz phyllo dough
3 - 4 T unsalted butter, melted
1 T + 1 t sugar, plus more for sprinkling over the top
1 t cinnamon
1 t lemon juice
3 stalks of rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (if rhubarb is out of season, thinly sliced apple would be good)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Roll phyllo up & cut into 1/2-inch pieces creating strips. Fluff the strips to separate them & then toss with the melted butter, 1 tablespoon sugar & 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Form the phyllo into four individual nests or one large one on a baking sheet covered with a silicon pad or parchment paper.

Mix the rhubarb with 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon & the lemon juice. Put in the center of the nests. Sprinkle with a little more sugar.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. The phyllo should be golden brown & the rhubarb soft.
Rhubarb Phyllo Nest
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

4 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

7 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ohhh do I love that crust! nice and crispy.

Finla said...

I can imagine the crunchy sound when you bite into that crust.
I love rhubarb and this looks so yumm.

Giff said...

it does look like a little nest. how cute :)

Elle said...

Gorgeous! I never make anything with rhubarb, and we love it--these look like a good place to start.

Lori said...

This is a fabulous idea because my Phyllo always falls aprat when it is leftover anyhow! I cant wait to dig into some rhubarb.

grace said...

nests! what fun! i love the a al mode shot--what a perfect dessert.

Jude said...

Never quite messed around with phyllo too much. Is it more difficult than puff pastry?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota