Monday, October 11, 2010

Farmers Market Finds and the Weekly Menu 10/11 - 10/16/10

This weekend at the Kingfield Farmers Market I participated in my first bake-off ever. We were asked to create a baked good using pumpkin this week & bring enough for 60 small servings.
IMG_6422
Then market-goers could purchase a plate with a sample of each treat & vote for their favorite. A panel of judges also chose their favorite. I brought a Chai Pumpkin Cake topped with a simple glaze (recipe coming soon).
IMG_6423
I think my cake was really good but my bet is on the pumpkin whoopie pies. I'm still waiting patiently (or not so patiently) to find out who won.
Here's what we picked up at the market this week...
IMG_6425
Onions
Sun Street Farm Girl Saison Bread & Kingfield Sourdough Bread
Italian Grilling Peppers - Went into a sweet potato hash last night
Green Beans
Eggs
Surprisingly late cherry tomatoes
Jersey Cows' Milk Cheese - Great on the bread with some fig jam
Garlic
Sweet Potatoes
IMG_6420
& some amazing duck & pork noodle soup from the Chef Shack.

We haven't really planned out menu for the week other than I have lots of leftover chicken to use & we want some sweet potato tacos as well.


If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

4 comments:

Manisha said...

I've got my fingers crossed on the contest! The first time I had sweet potatoes and black bean tacos were from the Chef Shack. You've made them before, yes? I'm going to look back through your recipes.

Stephanie said...

That bake-off sounds fun! I'd love to see you post some pumpkin recipes. Or a whole bunch of butternut squash recipes (I have so many I don't know what to do!)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Oh yummy and good luck! That does sound like fun, I need to do something like that. I may be too competative for a bake off, lol...I would be wearing eye-black and team aprons :) If you want to invite, I would be interested the next time you do a local bake-off, cook-off! Fun!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Bake offs aren't really that big over here - perhaps the odd village fete cookery competition but thats about it. Good luck

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota