Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tamarin Chicken Curry

A few weeks back I won a jar of Tamarin Speculoos Spread from Elle's New England Kitchen. Tamarin (not to be confused with tamarind) Speculoos Spread is a new sandwich spread from Europe that has the texture of a smooth peanut butter but the flavor is sweet & cinnamonny. Elle asked the winner of each jar to use it in a recipe & I thought it would be perfect in a curry.
Tamarin Chicken Curry
So, I whipped up a quick & simple chicken & vegetable curry adding a good amount of the spread to the sauce. It was so good! The Tamarin Spread not only added a wonderful sweetness to the curry, it also added to the velvety, creaminess of the sauce. It's cinnamon flavor was especially good with the sweet potatoes. A little Sirracha (or a lot depending on your love of heat) added to the sauce keeps it from being too sweet.

Next I liked to try the Tamarin sauce in a dipping sauce of some sort, any ideas?

Tamarin Chicken Curry

1 T vegetable oil
6 oz onion, cut into 6 wedges
10 oz sweet potato, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large carrot, peeled & sliced
florets from 1/2 a head of cauliflower
1 T curry powder
1 T all-purpose flour
2 c chicken stock
1 c water
1/2 c Tamarin Spread
2 t kosher salt
Sirracha to taste
2 c chopped cooked chicken
1/2 c coconut milk
2 c frozen green beans

In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, sweet potato, carrot, cauliflower & curry powder. Sauté until the onion is starting to soften. Sprinkle the flour over the top & cook while stirring for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, water, Tamarin spread, salt & Sirracha. Stir to mix. Add the chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat & let simmer until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk & beans. Cook until heated through. Serve over rice.

Makes 4 - 5 servings

***Disclose: I was given a jar of Tamarin Spread for free & asked to create a recipe with it but I was not paid in any other way.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

9 comments:

Elle said...

Oh my gosh, Kathy--what a great idea! The curry looks incredible--I can almost taste it. Thanks for playing!

Tangled Noodle said...

Even though it's not even lunchtime yet, I would love a serving of this curry! The Tamarin spread sounds delicious with its PB texture and sweet, cinnamon taste. 8-)

Leslie said...

What a yummy..belly warming dinner!

Lori said...

I need to try this stuff. Sounds good. I might use it for a satay sauce or a dipping sauce for Vietnamese Spring Rolls. Yum!

vanillasugarblog said...

i gotta try that stuff--everyone raves about it.
this is very creative....but then again you always are creative.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I am not a big curry eater, I got some at Penzey's though and want to gove it another try. I think I may like this with the coconut milk and sweet potatoes in it.

Lori said...

So glad you clarified because as soon as I saw the first line, I thought of tamarind. These are just the kind of dishes I'm hungry for with our fabulous cool weather!

Megan said...

That spread sounds awesome as well as this chicken dish!

wooden bed frames said...

This is a nice chicken recipe! Love it. I can't wait to give this a try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota