Friday, March 16, 2012

Chocolate Whisky Cake

Continuing in this week's St. Patrick's Day theme, I give you our dessert for Saturday night.
Shamrock Whiskey Cake
This cake is rich and slightly fudgy, almost but not quite a brownie. It is my favorite dark chocolate cake recipe taken to a higher level with a good shot of Irish Whiskey. The nice thing is you can really taste the whiskey in this cake and oh man, is it every good. Matt and I ate every scrap that was leftover from cutting it into shamrocks. I was afraid the whiskey would be harsh in it (especially as I am not a huge whiskey fan), but it is quite mellow. It goes well with the bittersweetness of the chocolate and oakiness of the vanilla.

To make it even more fun, I cut the cake into small shamrock cakes using a heart cookie cutter I had in my collection.

Chocolate Whiskey Cake

1/2 c (4 oz) unsalted butter
1/4 c Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa (or other Dutch processed cocoa)
6 T Irish Whiskey
1 c white sugar
1 egg
1 T vanilla
1/4 c buttermilk (or if you don't have buttermilk, mix a little lemon juice into regular milk)
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/8 t salt

whipped cream
green food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a round 8" cake pan by greasing and flouring it well. (If you are picky about this type of thing you can dust it with cocoa instead of flour.)

In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the cocoa until smooth. Whisk in the whiskey, again until smooth. Remove from heat. Then one at a time whisk in the sugar, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, it will be slightly lumpy.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out relatively clean. Cool on a rack before flipping out of the pan.

Served with whipped cream that has been dyed green.

Makes a single layer 8" cake.

How to make the cake into shamrocks:

8" round single layer chocolate cake (brownies would work good too)
long serrated knife
2" heart cookie cutter

Trim the cake so it is flat and not much thicker than your cookie cutter. A long serrated knife works well for this.
Shamrock Whiskey Cake
Using the cookie cutter cut out eight hearts along the outer edge of the cake and one in the center. Make sure you are pressing the cutter all the way through the cake so the hearts don't get stuck an break. Save three of the little triangle pieces between the hearts for stems. Eat the scraps.
Shamrock Whiskey Cake Shamrock Whiskey Cake
Arrange the hearts into a shamrock shape.
Shamrock Whiskey Cake
Shamrock Whiskey Cake
Before serving top with the green whipped cream.
Shamrock Whiskey Cake
You will get three shamrocks out of one 8" cake. Matt says each shamrock is one serving and I say they could easily be two.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2012 Kathy Lewinski

6 comments:

Bugarska Leto said...

These look lovely! Great for St.Patrick's day tomorrow!

Lori said...

Yeah, I'll take two. :) This cake sounds delicious!

grace said...

that's some really innovative thinking, kat--i'm impressed! plus, bonus--there's booze involved. :)

ATasteOfMadness said...

Oh that's so creative! I wanted to make something for st patricks day, but couldn't think of anything. Next year I will be more creative. Or just make these ;)

Lori said...

How cute are those?

Sorry I have been incomunicado. I am still having google issues. When my husband is not using his computer I am able to log into the google blogs and leave comments. Otherwise I am at read only status.

I dont think I am going to be able to do Just Crafty Enough challenges due to the issues. I planning on moving Buzz to Wordpress to make my life easier.

Robert Richards Recipes said...

Well, this recipe is not something I would of thought to make. But, I love trying new recipes and this looks like a fin one to make. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota