Monday, April 28, 2008

Chocolate-Covered Banana Cupcakes

We bought too many bananas last week that were the same ripeness & ended up with a few of those nice soft brown ones that are so perfect for cooking. I told Matt I'd make him some banana bread but he said he wanted banana cupcakes with chocolate frosting. That made me think of one of my favorite summer treats frozen chocolate-covered bananas rolled in peanuts. Seems like a wonderful combination for a cupcake as well.
Chocolate Covered Banana Cupcakes
I didn't want the cupcake to just be a small banana bread, I was hoping for something a little lighter. I search around & found a whole bunch of recipes that were very similar so that's what I went with. This is a much moister cupcake than my typical one, probably because of the banana. It is a little heavier than I had hoped for but really it tastes so good & bananay (is that word?) that is doesn't really matter.
I used a simple chocolate ganache for the frosting because I felt it most simulated the chocolate coating on a frozen banana.

Banana Cupcake

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. sour cream
1/2 c. mashed bananas
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 8 muffin tins. Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy. Add egg & beat again. Dissolve baking soda in sour cream, add to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in banana, flour and vanilla until everything is combined. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. There maybe a little sticking due to the banana. Allow to cool before frosting.
Banana Cupcakes
Makes 8

Chocolate Ganache

4 oz chopped chocolate (I used a mixture of semi & bittersweet)
1/4 c plus 2 T cream
1 T butter

Bring butter & cream to a boil. Boil over chopped chocolate & stir until chocolate is completely melted. Frost cupcakes & sprinkle with some salted chopped peanuts if you wish. Put cupcakes into the fridge to set the ganache.

11 comments:

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mm looks scrumcious!!
Love the look of the chocolate ganache.

kat said...

Natalie - The ganache worked so well here & once it set up it was perfect as the chocolate coating.

Ben - Its hard to be a food blogger & on a diet!

Tempered Woman said...

What does Ben mean? Bananas are good for you~ chocolate too! This looks like the perfect diet food to me, heh

Jen said...

What a great photo---

Good call on the ganache too... I like it so much more than frosting.

Deborah said...

What a great idea!! Now if I could only get my husband to stop eating the bananas so that they will get a little overripe...

Deborah said...

Oh yeah - I also wanted to say that I'm glad this recipe only makes 8. I love recipes that only make a small amount, because it's usually just way too much for 2 people!!

kat said...

Deborah - I actually even made half of this recipe to just get 4 cupcakes. I figured out my large eggs are just over 3 T so I know how much to use for half & egg. I do this a lot so the two of us don't have sweets around all the time.

Thistlemoon said...

What a great picture and that ganache looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhh ganache!

I'd love to see some pictures of the frozen bananas. We called them monkey tails back home, and boy are they tasty!!

Katt said...

I found this recipe about a year and a half ago, and my family loves it. and the cupcakes keep for like 2 months in the freezer. I looooove it! you da best!

One thing though, I guess I didn't realize this cause I'm a rookie baker, but white chocolate DOES NOT work for a ganache. Just thought I would share that little tid bit I discovered. lol

kat said...

Katt - Oh yeah, white chocolate isn't even really chocolate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota