Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oyster-flavored Beef & Broccoli

Years ago my brother gave me a cookbook called Chinese One Dish Meals, I think he bought it at an Asian market in Duluth. When I was trying to think of menus for this week I rediscovered it in the cupboard. I've had pretty good success with it in the past though I have stayed clear of things like Pigsfeet in Soy Sauce & Meat in Ketchup Sauce. It's an odd book with everything written in Chinese & English. I can't figure out if its written for an English speaking audience with the Chinese in there to make it look more authentic, especially when I see recipes that suggest serving over a tortilla or pita instead of rice! It really doesn't matter though as I find the flavor I get from these recipes is closer to what I would get in a Chinese restaurant than any other I've tried.
Oyster-flavored Beef

1/2 lb lean beef, cut into 1"x2" slices
1 T soy sauce
1 T sherry
1 T cornstarch
4 T vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
6 slices ginger root, peeled
1/2 c water
1 1/2 T oyster sauce
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1/2 t sherry
2 t cornstarch
2 t sugar
few drops sesame oil
pinch of pepper
1 c mushrooms, whole of small or cut in half
1 c broccoli, blanched
1 carrot, sliced & blanched

Mix together 1 T soy sauce, 1 T sherry, 1 T cornstarch. Add meat and marinade for about 1/2 hour.
Mix together water, oyster sauce, 1 1/2 T soy sauce, 1/2 t sherry, 2 t cornstarch, sugar, sesame oil (careful it's got a strong flavor) and pepper in a bowl & set aside.
Heat 3 T oil in a preheated wok. Add onion & ginger and stir-fry until fragrant. Add 1 T oil to the meat mixture & put into wok, stir-fry just until the color changes. Stir in oyster sauce mixture & stir-fry over high heat until bubbly & starting to thicken. Add vegetables and stir-fry quickly until everything is hot & covered with sauce. Serve over hot rice.

Oh, & dessert was the leftover mango coulis & whipped cream served over poundcake.
Poundcake with Mango Coulis
I made a two serving poundcake loaf from Small-Batch Baking. Yummy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota