Sunday, July 12, 2009

Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad

As its the time of year the fennel & beets are starting to show up in peoples CSA boxes I'm starting to read about how much people dislike these two vegetables. I guess I'm just lucky since both Matt & I really like them. I was planning to do a roasted beet salad this week & Matt suggested roasting the fennel with the beets. According to the The Flavor Bible these are two items that go together well so I did just that.
Roasted Beet & Fennel Salad
I wanted a light dressing for this salad with a little citrus tang so I did an easy Lemon Vinaigrette. (I just remembered I had originally planned on doing orange, oops!). Actually the whole salad ended up being a very light & fresh side dish perfect for this time of year. Roasting really sweetens the beets & mellows the flavor of the fennel. The strongest fennel flavor comes from the fronds that are sprinkled on top so add as much or as little as you like.

Roasted Beet & Fennel Salad

1 fennel bulb, sliced
1 1/2 c beets, cut into small pieces (you can do more this is just what I had on hand)
olive oil
kosher salt
salad greens
fennel fronds, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the fennel bulb & beets in a small roasting pan. just coat with olive oil & sprinkle with salt. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender. (If its too hot to roast the beets & fennel inside, cook them on your grill in a grill basket)

Place on a bed of salad greens. Dress with Lemon Vinaigrette. Sprinkle fennel fronds over the top.

Lemon Vinaigrette

2 T olive oil
1 T lemon Juice
1 T white wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste

Serves 2

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

What a beautiful salad! I've never tried roasted beets before so no judgment yet but it certainly sounds delicious with the lemon vinaigrette.

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
Gorgeous pics.
I love a roasted beet salad.
Eat it weekly.
Yours looks nicer than mine, though!

maybelles mom said...

i love fennel and beets. Lovely.

Lori said...

I used to hate them- thought they tasted like dirt. Now they are so much a part of my summer. I puree them too and then they are a big part of my winter.

This salad is oh so pretty. What a beautiful salad to serve to a bunch of women with some tea!

grace said...

although i wouldn't particularly enjoy this salad, i can state with certainty that it's one of the most beautifully presented dishes i've ever seen. i love the flower and the colors of the components. exquisite. :)

Peter M said...

The colours this salad is like a flower arrangement in itself. A healthy and filling salad - love beets!

Amy P. said...

You're adventurous for throwing these two ingredients together and also adding the fennel fronds on top, that's more highly evolved than me! :) I've got to work my way up to this...

Deborah said...

It sure does look beautiful - but this one would be an adventure for me!

Jeff said...

I never understood how people could not love those two vegetables because they are one of my favorites.

I am also really happy because soon I will harvesting them out of the garden and trying to steal as many ideas as possible :-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I did a roasted beetroot salad this week too - but I LOVE the idea of putting fennel with it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota