Friday, July 17, 2009

What we did with CSA box #5 and what's in #6


What we did with CSA box #5
1. Pea Risotto 2. Flank Steak Stir-fry 3. Grilled Trout & Fennel with Lemon Cream Sauce & Sautéed Beets 4. Roasted Beet & Fennel Salad 5. Strawberry Shortcake 6. Grilled Zucchini (with a flatbread sandwich) 7. Baja Fish Tacos 8. Beet Green & Amaranth Quesadillas 9. Dutch Baby with Fresh Strawberry Sauce

A few notes on the items without links. The pea risotto was a really basic risotto recipe that we added some shelled peas & some sugar snaps that had been sautéed in a little butter. The beef stir-fry was super simple & tasty with peas, sweetheart cabbage, bok choy & scallions all in a store bought teriyaki sauce. The grilled zucchini was just coated with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar & cooked in a grill basket.

And on to box #6
What's in CSA box #6
Cauliflower - Think we'll roast this as a side dish. Its really good with Indian BBQ Sauce
Broccoli - This will just get steamed or used in a stir-fry
Savoy Cabbage - Probably headed for a coleslaw
Spinach - We are responsible for bringing a salad to camp this weekend & I'm thinking a spinach salad with eggs & bacon would be good
Arugula - Love this on pizza
Beans - Steamed
Golden Beets - I'm tempted to try my hand at beet ice cream
Carrots - Stir-fry, salads, carrot cake
Fresh Garlic - We've been letting the fresh garlic cure to use later
Cipollini Onions - I bet these would be fabulous grilled
Cucumber - Should go in a salad but I'm thinking Pimm's Cup
Squash - Matt loves it grilled
Chard - Sautéed with some bacon or sausage & some nuts, yum

Find more ideas on using your CSA box at Cooking Away My CSA.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

billjac said...

Beet ice cream's not a bad idea at all. Personally, I'd roast the beets to deepen the flavor and break down the fiber. Still might have to run it through a chinoise to get a good texture. And I might add just a little champagne vinegar or maybe a swirl of balsalmic. But that's just me.

Lori said...

Your photo round-ups always make me so hungry! I love arugula on pizza too. Looking forward to your week of recipes!

Carrie said...

What a bounty. I miss the spontaneity of CSA cooking, but being single, I always end up with way too much food. You guys must have great food in the fridge at all times.

MrOrph said...

lucky u! u have a good CSA. we finally got one, used it, and it was horrible. the produce went bad almost immediately and what we did manage to use wasn't very good. i'm jealous!

Marta said...

Chard pan-fried with butter, some parmesan and some nuts is to die for!

Thistlemoon said...

I love what you made! Such creative and good stuff! Delicious summer fare!

Leslie said...

After seeing all of your posts on your CSA boxs. I have looked into joining my local CSA! YEAH!

Lori said...

How do you cure the garlic because I bought some fresh too and I do not know what to do with the sticks.

kat said...

Lori - Curing garlic is just letting the bulbs dry in a cool dark spot. If by the sticks you mean the flower stem or scape, eat that fresh in pasta or on pizza on even in a salad. If you just mean the stalk, cut it off.

Lori said...

It is the stalk- thank you. I didnt know what to do with it.

Giff said...

sigh, the quality of your CSA produce looks so much better than mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota