Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Saffron Fish and White Bean Soup

Something about this recipe just called out to me, "make me, make me." I think it was probably the seductive song of the saffron & fennel. Whatever it was, I'm certainly glad I listened.
#103 - Saffron Fish & Bean Soup
This is a really filling soup but it isn't heavy at all. It's full of bright flavors & smells amazing. The flavors are slightly exotic but still comforting. Need something fabulous on a busy night this soup will fit the bill, if your beans are cooked ahead of time or you use canned, it'll only take about 20 minutes to get it on the table. Makes sure to serve it with a crusty bread as you'll want something to sop up the broth!

Saffron Fish and White Bean Soup
(adapted from Cooking Light April '10)

1/2 c dry white beans (or 7 oz canned)
1/2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 t fennel seeds, crushed with a mortar & pestle
1/4 t ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 t saffron threads
3/4 c water
8 oz bottle calm juice
1 c diced tomatoes including juices
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 - 3/4 lb of firm white fish, we used halibut, cut into 2-inch pieces

Soak & then simmer beans in 1 1/2 cups water until soft. Drain & set aside. (If using canned drain & then rinse them.)

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, fennel, coriander, garlic & one thyme sprig. Cook for 5 minutes.

Add the saffron threads, crushing them with your fingers as you add them to the pot. Pour in the water, clam juice and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer & let cook for 5 minutes.

Add the salt, fish & beans. Let cook for 5 more minutes. The fish should be cooked through & flaky. Remove the sprig of thyme.

Divide between two bowls. Remove leaves from remaining springs of thyme & sprinkle on top

2 large servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

13 comments:

Stephanie (Fresh Tart) said...

I love fish soup, this looks lovely!

Elle said...

what a wonderful, quick meal. I love almost any kind of soup, and especially fish soup. I think it's singing to me, too!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Saffron, fennel, and white beans: count me in. . .looks lovely.

Maria said...

Love all of the flavors in this soup!

grace said...

i've not been fortunate enough to hear the 'seductive song of saffron and fennel,' but methinks it'd please me. :)

Michelle said...

I never cooked with Saffron. I know shame on me but it's so expensive, however I did find a good price on some a while ago but it's just sitting in my cabinet. Hmmmm....

Lori said...

I made a white bean and shrimp cassoulet. I loved it! I bet this has a similar taste. But the fennel and saffron add another layer of flavor that I bet I would love.

Sippity Sup said...

This is sooo South of France. It's giving me the travel bug. GREG

Fresh Local and Best said...

I like how simple this recipe is to prepare. I also have always loved the combination of saffron with seafood, I can imagine how wonderful this must have smelled!

Stacey Snacks said...

I bookmarked this recipe too, glad I got the 5 star review from you first...will make it!

Sharon said...

I just finished up my saffron and now need to spring for another bottle. Its such a luxury but so worth it. Delicious!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

It does look lovely and light! I will bookmark this - I love saffron

Alicia Foodycat said...

This looks so delicious! Very light and summer-y.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota