Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sausage and Spring Onion Pie

Pie...Galette...Rustic Tart...I guess this dish could be called any of those things. Let's just say it's a yummy filling of Italian sausage, fresh spring onions & melted cheese in a tender, flakey crust. Sound good? Well, it was!
#110 - Sausage & Spring Onion Pie
I used the spring onions we picked up at the Mpls Farmer's Market this weekend. Spring onions are usually a little bigger & have lightly rounder bulbs than scallions or green onions. They also can have more of a bite to them which means they held their own against the spicy sausage. If you can't get spring onions, green onions will be a fine substitute.
Fol Epi Cheese
For the cheese in this pie we were lucky enough to recieve a wedge of Fol Epi from Ile de France Cheese*. They let us pick which cheese to try & we picked one we'd never tasted before. Fol Epi is a semi-soft, cow's milk cheese that reminded us of a Swiss cheese but a little milder taste. It was really good for lunch on ham sandwiches, perfect in this pie & also good just for snacking. It melted beautifully & would probably make a rocking grilled cheese. We just love getting to try cheese that is new to us.

Sausage & Spring Onion Pie

Crust

2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/8 t kosher salt
4 T (2 oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks (if you use salted butter leave out the salt)
1 T + 1 t cold water

Put the flour & salt into a food processor & pulse a few times to blend. Add the butter & pulse until the mixture is the texture of a course meal. Sprinkle in the water & pulse. Test the dough to see if it holds together by pinching it. If it is too dry add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until it reaches the right texture. Form the dough into two balls. Flatten the balls into discs. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 1/2 hour

Filling

1/2 T olive oil
4 oz bulk hot Italian sausage
4 large spring onions, chopped, try to keep the white & light green parts separate from the more tender dark green parts (I ended up with between 1 1/2 & 2 cups)
1 egg, beaten
2 oz Fol Epi cheese, grated
melted butter

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage plus the white & light green parts of the onions. Sauté until the sausage is cooked & the onion is very tender. Add the darker green parts of the onion & continue to cook until tender. Remove from the heat & let cool to almost room temperature. Once cooled mix in the egg & cheese (if you wish save a little of the cheese to sprinkle on the top).

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Roll the dough discs out to about 8" circles 1/8" thick. Place the circles on a baking sheet that is either covered with a silicone pad or greased. Spoon half of the the filling into the middle of each circle leaving about 1 to 1 1/2 inch border. Fold the border over the filling, pleating as you go along. Brush the crust with some melted butter. Sprinkle some cheese over the showing filling if you saved some for this purpose.

Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 F & cook another 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown & the filling has set. Let cool a few minutes before serving.

2 servings.

*Ile de France sent us cheese to sample but we were not given any other consideration to write about or review it.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

16 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my word. One of my favorite things to make is the rustic tart with garden fresh veggies, especially spring onions. this looks simply amazing.

vanillasugarblog said...

i just love the way you two think. this sounds so good!

Elle said...

Ooooh, yeah! Perfect easy meal there. I can almost taste it!

Tangled Noodle said...

Beautiful! I also used some of my first spring vegs last night (parsnips) and I'm raring to go as soon as the farmers' markets open in these next few weeks!

Unknown said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this one! It sounds delicious. I know exactly where that last pack of sausage from the farm is going. That cheese sounds so great, too!

Stacey Snacks said...

Very nice! You know I love tarts/galettes!
I have my cheese coming too, I think I chose the Basque cheese.
Always nice to get free samples.

Jamie said...

That pie sounds so delicious. I could see my family enjoying it on a lazy Saturday morning. New cheeses are wonderful, I don't think I've tried a cheese that I didn't like. I can't believe the farmers market has started already in MN. Just a couple more weeks and our farmers market will start in Omaha --I can hardly wait.

kat said...

Jamie - The market hasn't officially started yet but they do have weekends throughout the winter to get meat & such. This was the first with local veg. The market we go to weekly doesn't start until late May.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Oh my that looks fantabulous!

grace said...

that crust is fierce--i love it, which means i'd be game for whatever filling was involved. how fortunate that i also love your filling--nifty cheese and scrumptious sausage!

Sook said...

What a comforting and satisfying looking dish!

Peter M said...

Tres nice! Glad to see you presented this rustic, just like the humble ingredients.

Jenna said...

This looks awesome. I'm making it!

Lori said...

Oh Kat I would love to sink my teeth into that. It looks so good!

MrOrph said...

i just got some fresh spring onions, so this is a nice application that i will be applying this weekend. looks tasty!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh how fantastic! I have been thinking recently that I haven't made a savoury tart in ages. If I can track down some spicy sausage I will definitely try this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota