Monday, June 14, 2010

Farmers Market Finds and the Weekly Menu 6/13 - 6/19/10

We went to two farmers markets this weekend...
Mpls Farmers Market Haul
On Friday, I ran to the Minneapolis Farmers Market because I heard they had local strawberries. I have to say this is one of those times I love Twitter. I sent out a tweet asking if anyone knew if there were local strawberries & the market tweeted right back, perfect!.
Strawberries - that is 2 gallons you are looking at there. The gentleman I bought them from was so worried about the quality of them he kept switching out ones that weren't perfect to him for others. All of these strawberries became 36 jars of jam. We made batches strawberry vanilla, balsamic, pepper & cardamom.
#163 - 36 cans of strawberry jam
New Potatoes - So perfect & white on the inside. That made wonderful smashed potatoes with a steak last night but I'm thinking of putting a few on a pizza this week.
Juutso Supreme - I've always wanted to try this Finnish "bread cheese." Its very firm & stands up to grilling. I put a few pieces in a dry skillet to heat up & them had them on a spinach salad, amazing. The squeak when you bite it reminds me of cheese curds.

Farmers Market Finds 6/13
Then Sunday it was off to our neighborhood Kingfield Farmers Market. Where on top of all the goodies to eat Matt bought me some beautiful pink & purple flowers,
Beets - I'm thinking a roasted beet salad, tart & perhaps pizza this week
Garlic Scapes - I made garlic scape mustard last week & want to make a second batch. I'll be sharing the recipe with you all tomorrow.
Mixed Lettuce - I've been eating salads for lunch almost everyday lately & the spring greens are really the best.
Bok Choy - These will see some stir-fry action & some will be a side sautéed with a little sesame oil
Baguette & Bacon Scones - We are really loving the breads from Sun Street Bakery lately. The scones with the house-cured bacon from Corner Table were a big hit with Matt.
We still have radishes, peas & spinach left from last week so our fridge is looking really good & green right now.

On to Menu Planning Monday...
Matt is out of town this week for work so I'm trying to think what single girl dishes I want.

Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry - bok choy, pea pods, carrots, oh my

Potato & Beet Pizza

Chicken & Sautéed Radishes - I think this might be a good experiment

Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Tart

Friday we are going to see John Hodgman so we'll eat out in St. Paul

I'm hoping the weather will be good enough on Saturday that we can smoke some ribs!

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

What lot of strawberries. I made some strawberry and cardomom jam this weekend

Carter @ The Kitchenette said...

You made THIRTY-SIX jars of strawberry jam from 2 gallons of strawberries?! That's awesome! For some reason I was thinking that 2 gallons wouldn't make that much... but maybe I am just thinking that gallons are smaller. I'm so impressed!

Sippity Sup said...

Squeaky cheese bread! Did I read that right? GREG

Lo said...

Friends of ours just went out and picked 35 POUNDS of local strawberries over the weekend! I'm so jealous.

That said -- that juusto cheese is awesome. Will be excited to hear how you eat it.

Amy said...

I finally went to the Kingfield Market this week. We got some potato flax seed bread from Sun Street. Plus other goodies.

Lori said...

I cant wait to check out your mustard recipe. I have been wanting to make some mustard for a while now.

That cheese bread looks really good.

Deborah said...

I would love to visit your farmer's market!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of you planning skills. My goal is to get my act together to join Menu Planning Monday!

Lori said...

Love your market reports, and what a supply of jam! That is great! I'm interested to see how you use the potatoes on pizza. That cheese reminds me of the grilled cheese we had in Brazil. Man, that stuff is good! Enjoy! So far I haven't come across anything like it in our area.

Fresh Local and Best said...

*sigh* I love farmer's markets! And those purple flowers are wonderful, they are like velvet on a stem!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota