Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rhubarb and Almond Clafoutis

Last summer Matt kept saying he wanted to make a clafoutis but somehow we never got around to it. Then last week Stacey over at Stacey Snacks posted a lovely Cherry Pistachio Clafoutis & I was reminded that we wanted to make one too.
Rhubarb & Almond Clafoutis
I had been looking for a way to use up some rhubarb in my fridge & thought why not try using that as the fruit. I know its not traditional but Stacey encouraged me to give try it anyway. I've read that the French leave the cherry pits in clafoutis to add an almond flavor so I decided to add some slivered almonds, plus rhubarb & almond go together so well.

This was a great way to use the rhubarb, it got nice & soft during baking & I liked the tartness against the sweetness of the custard & the powdered. The almonds add some fabulous texture as well as flavor. This is my kind of dessert as its not overly sweet. Matt was happy he finally got to try a clafoutis & discovered he really liked it. It's such a simple dessert I can see making it again & again with different fruits as they come into season.

This recipe made the perfect size for the two of us (ok, big slices) but it can easily be doubled & made in a full-sized pie plate.

Rhubarb & Almond Clafoutis
(Adapted from Stacey Snacks)

unsalted butter
1/2 c sliced rhubarb, slices between 1/4" & 1/2 " thick
1 large egg
1/4 c sugar
2 T corn starch
2 T all-purpose flour
1/2 t vanilla
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 c milk
1 T slivered almonds
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Generously butter a 6" baking dish. Put the rhubarb slices on the bottom of the dish.

Whisk the egg, sugar & corn starch together until the corn starch is dissolved. Whisk in the flour, vanilla, salt & cinnamon. Whisk in milk. Pour the batter over the rhubarb. Sprinkle the almonds over the top.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the custard has set & is golden brown.

Cool completely then dust with powdered sugar to serve.

2 - 4 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

As the French say "it's crepe batter poured over fruit!".
Love that you were daring and used the rhubarb with almonds!

Elle said...

Aren't they amazingly simple to make? I made one last summer for the first time.

I love what you've added to this one--another great way to use rhubarb.

Justin said...

i don't know why i've never even bought rhubarb before... this looks really good

vanillasugarblog said...

it's the simple recipes like this that really taste the best. plus the almonds really make this too.

grace said...

i think using cherries that haven't been pitted is just asking for a broken tooth, but i love the addition of almonds! great work, folks. :)

Heather said...

I am drooling. This looks phenomenal.

Lori said...

Oh, this is nice. I've not made one before, but I've got some more rhubarb in the fridge.

Sky & Sierra's Mom said...

Is there really no milk or cream in this recipe or was there an accidental omission? Trying to be an optimist, I made a quadruple batch to share. Not bad, but a little more like a popover than a custard-like cake.

kat said...

Sky & Sierra's Mom - Yes, I think there should have been milk in it looking at the recipe it was derived from. Not sure how I missed it in writing it up, sorry. I have fixed the recipe.

Sky & Sierra's Mom said...

Thanks. I'll be anxious to taste the difference. I should share this first batch with my dairy free friends.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota