Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Peasto

Yes, you read that right. No, it's not a misspelling. It is what Matt has dubbed my latest creation, pea tendril pesto.
Peasto
We had bought a big bag of pea tendrils at the farmers market. They were great in risotto, pasta & salad but still there was a bunch left. I wanted way to use it all up before it went bad & thought why not a pesto. Make it just like you would a basil pesto.

Peasto

2 c loosely packed pea tendrils
2 T grated parmesan
1 clove garlic
1/4 c olive oil (more or less as needed)
salt & pepper

Put the pea tendrils, parmesan & garlic in a food processor. Pulse until chopped finely. With the processor running add the olive oil a little at a time until the peasto has a cream texture.

Taste & season with salt & pepper.

Makes about 1 cup

I went light with the cheese & garlic here because I wanted the main flavor to be peas. It makes for such a light, fresh pesto. You can definitely add more to your tastes or even play around with it by adding other flavors that go with peas like mint.
#161 - Peasto Pasta
We used some of the pesto in a easy pasta with some quick sautéd sugar snap peas, onions & a little cream. It would also be good as in a pasta salad or potato salad, on a pizza, with chicken & I bet fantastic with lamb. Store it in small containers in the freezer for the fresh taste of peas all year.

I noticed there were still some beautiful looking bunches of tendril at the farmers market last week so go grab yourself some while this spring treat lasts.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

that sounds really good to me. i love new variations on pesto.

Laura T. said...

What a fantastic idea for pea tendrils--I haven't seen that one yet, but I'd love to try it.

giz said...

Kat - that picture is phenomenal!!! I think a pea pesto would be amazing - gotta try it.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

genius!!

Sippity Sup said...

Oh yeah... GREG

The Food Hunter said...

Sounds great!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I've had pea tendrils previously but always stir fried, which I love. This looks like a great pea-tastic recipe!

Christiana Thomas said...

Funny - great minds think alike!

http://theharmoniouskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/pea-green-pesto.html

grace said...

awesomely clever name for a uniquely delicious creation!

Christiana Thomas said...

I love that you are doing this! I'm from MN (a Bennie), and I NEVER remember getting pea greens in MN, ever. As far as I knew they were something used to torture us SoCal CSA folks... :)

Deborah said...

I seriously think you guys are the most creative people. Another thing I would have never thought of doing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota