Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Basil Filling & Basil Icing

I didn't really have a plan for a cupcake flavor this week but I kept thinking I wanted to do something with basil (maybe because I'm watching a basil plant slowly die in my garden). I remembered a few years ago Matt took me to Rubicon in San Francisco for an amazing dinner. The dessert I had that night had blueberries & basil in it which surprised me by being such a great combination. I decided these flavors would go well with lemon & this cupcake was born.
Lemon Cupcake with Blueberry Basil Filling & Basil Icing
I was a little afraid the flavor of the basil would be lost but it really shines through especially in the icing. Oh & the smell of basil while you are making these is wonderful. Matt took his first bite & immediately said, "Wow, basil really goes well with the fruit!"

Blueberry Basil Sauce

1/3 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1 T water
1/2 t lemon juice
1 1/2 T granulated sugar
6 large basil leaves, chopped

Put all ingredients in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the berries break down & the sauce thickens.

Makes about 6 t sauce.

This sauce would also be good over vanilla ice cream.

Lemon Cupcakes
makes 6 cupcakes but can easily be doubled

2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon (with 1 t held aside for the icing)
1/4 c plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins.
Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
Beat the butter until light and fluffy. On high speed, gradually beat in the sugar until light & fluffy. Lower speed and add egg, beating until just blended. Then beat in lemon zest & lemon juice. On low speed beat in flour mixture & yogurt until just blended. This will be a very light fluffy batter.

Divide half the batter evenly among the 6 muffin tins. Place a scant teaspoon of blueberry basil sauce on top of the batter in each cup, try to keep to the center as much as possible. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 18 minutes. The edges should just be turning golden brown. Let cool on wire

Basil Icing

1/2 c powdered sugar, shifted
1 t lemon juice
2 large basil leaves, finely chopped
milk

Mix powdered sugar, lemon juice, basil and 1/2 t milk. Add more milk as needed by 1/2 t amounts until icing consistency. After icing allow cupcakes to sit until set, about an hour.

Makes enough to ice 6 cupcakes.

Lemon Cupcake with Blueberry Basil Filling & Basil Icing

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the photo - really fun! I made cakes with rosemary & orange recently & I thinks herbs work so well in cupcakes - a little more adult & unusual.

Peter M said...

How unusual to add basil to the icing on a cupcake...O whimsy one!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...that really is an interesting combination! I'm not sure I'd have the gumption, but maybe soon.

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE your blog! I really have never cooked, but you have inspired me to try.

I have it bookmarked and look forward to all of the healthy, interesting and simple recipes you post every morning. Just wanted to say thank you!

I'm going to try this one tonight!

kat said...

Recipes - We thought the same thing, this is an adult cupcake.

Peter - I took a chance with the basil in the icing luckily it was good.

Candice - Thank you so much. I hope you do take a shot at these & let me know. Baking always scared me with worries of being exact with measurements & all but now I just go for it & am usually happy with the results.

Thistlemoon said...

Oh hello, YUM! Basil so goes with sweet things! I love it - I had basil ice cream once and was HOOKED - it was so fresh and delicious. Those cupcakes look amazing!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Alright, Kat! This recipe seems like something I'd try to do: mix two flavors that aren't classically put together, and see what happens! I love that this turned out well for you!

Unknown said...

Fun combination! How did you guys get so in to cupcakes in the first place?

toontz said...

Wow, this is something I have got to try!

Michelle said...

Love the basil icing!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota