Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ravioli with Pea Tendril & Green Garlic

As I mentioned earlier this week, we received pea tendrils in our CSA box. Since we've never cooked with them before some experimentation has been in order. I used them on Thursday in a chicken peanut stir-fry which was good but I felt the sauce overpowered the delicate pea flavor. I wanted to come up with a dish that would let that flavor shine through. Most things I found online were stir-fries but I was thinking more the pasta or risotto route. I think risotto would be wonderful but as it was in the 80's & humid I just couldn't see standing over a pot stirring hot rice for 20 minutes. Instead I came up with this pasta dish which came together in no time at all. The flavors are very fresh & light with the pea tendril as the sweet star ingredient.
ravioli with pea tenrdils & green garlic

1 package fresh cheese ravioli (2 servings)
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
3 - 4 c pea tendril, chopped
1 green garlic, chopped (you can substitute 1 clove regular garlic)
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like heat)
fresh grated Parmesan

Cook pasta according to directions. Heat the oil & butter in a sauté pan over med-heat. When the pasta has about 1 and 1/2 minutes left to cook add the garlic & red pepper flakes to the oil. Sauté until the green garlic is tender. When the pasta is cooked, drain it & return it to the pot. Add the pea tendrils to the sauté pan with the garlic & cook until just wilted. Stir into the pasta & serve with fresh grated Parmesan.

Serves 2

9 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

Just made this for lunch -- it was great, thanks!

kat said...

Wow, you are a quick one since I just posted it this morning! Glad you enjoyed it.

giz said...

I'm not sure what planet I live on but I've never even seen pea tendrils

Anonymous said...

My brother is a cook in Hawaii, and he introduced me to pea shoots and pea tendrils for the first time, just this year, in a salad he made. I had to go all over our fair city to find them. They were delightful, and your pasta recipe looks heavenly.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

MMmmm... so tender, sweet, and delectable-looking!

Anonymous said...

I like the pea tendrils cold, like in a salad. I bet they'd be great in a cold noodle salad that's not too highly flavored.

Tipper said...

I'm a Harmony-Valley-er, too!

I made this tonight, with sad-looking-but-edible pea tendrils, as well as some spinach. I forgot to add the red pepper, but I think I made up for that with a bit of lemon juice.

Belle Rita said...

We just got an Asian farmer at the market I manage in Springfield, MA, and he brings pea tendrils. I too had never heard of them, but they are yummy. I've put them in chicken broth with home made won tons, and I've stir fried them two ways, once with butter and another time with garlic and olive oil. Delicious. Nice texture.

christeen said...

wow...that looks tasty. i realize it's no longer the season for pea vine, but next spring, try making a soup. HVF has a recipe from 2006 for a pea vine and asparagus soup. Basically you use seasonal stuff...spring onion, green garlic, pea vine, and asparagus, with some chicken stock and some cream, and puree it, leaving some chunks for texture. It's so yummy! And I would love to see your take on it. And copy you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota