Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tin Roof Cupcakes

When coming up with this week's cupcake flavor I knew I wanted to try a Very Vanilla Cupcake because I had made some vanilla sugar with leftover vanilla bean last week, but what to go with the vanilla. Then is hit me why not make a cupcake with the flavors of my favorite ice cream sundae, the tin roof. A tin roof sundae is really very basic; vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce & red skinned Spanish peanuts. That's it. Hold the whip cream. Don't add a cherry. It is perfect in its simpleness. I used chocolate ganache for the chocolate "sauce" & regular salted peanuts (because I prefer not to have the skins)
Tin Roof Cupcakes

Very Vanilla Cupcake
(adapted from Martha's Stewart Coconut Cupcake)
This is the best fluffy white cupcake. It smelled so good Matt & I ate one right from the oven without anything on it.

3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
6 T unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c + 1 T vanilla sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 c milk
2 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 6 - 8 muffin tins.
In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder & salt. In a large bowl cream together butter & vanilla sugar until light & fluffy. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean & add to butter mixture. Add vanilla & beat. On low speed add half the flour mixture until just blended. Add milk until blended. Add remaining flour & mix until just blended.
In another bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, glossy peak appear, about 2 minutes. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg into the batter until combined. Add remaining egg & fold until combined.
Divided equally among the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool before frosting.

Makes 6 - 8 cupcakes

Chocolate Ganache
(from Joy of Cooking)

1/4 c cream
2 1/3 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 t flavoring of choice (I flavored mine with coffee)

Bring cream to boil. Remove from heat & add chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate has melted. Add flavoring & whisk until smooth. Allow to cool to spreadable consistency.
Can be stored in the fridge for 1 week. Reheat to reuse.

Frost cupcakes & sprinkle with salted peanuts.
Cupcake photoshoot gone awry

7 comments:

Jen said...

These look so good-- I love chocolate and peanuts.

MrOrph said...

Decadance at its best!

I'll take two please!

Deborah said...

I haven't had Tin Roof Sundae ice cream in ages - what a great cupcake!

bha said...

cupcakes are beautiful....the chocolate ganache make them sinfully delicious

Elle said...

That is my favorite sundae ever! These look so good, especially with the ganache.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

LauraHelen said...

I just discovered your blog last week and have been steadily reading (and drooling) for the past few days, making my way backwards.

I have to say that the picture of the fallen cupcake is so far my favorite picture!! It just makes me smile!! =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota