Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cranberry Bean Soup

Wow, this was such a hearty soup. Once we blended the beans & vegetables it was more like a stew with pasta in it. I actually think maybe it was too thick.
IMG_1907
Next time we'll skip the whole blending step all together & then I think it'll be a great soup.

Cranberry Bean Soup
(Adapted from Soup's On!)

1 1/2 T olive oil
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 chorizo link, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 T rosemary, chopped
1 T sage, chopped
1 qt cold water
1 small russet potato, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 carrot, sliced
2 stalked celery, sliced
3/4 c cranberry beans, canned or dried soaked overnight
4 oz small pasta
salt & pepper

In a soup pot heat the olive oil, bacon & chorizo over medium-low heat until the bacon begins to get crispy. Add the onion, garlic, rosemary & sage. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the water, potato, carrots, celery & beans. Bring to a simmer & cook for 20 minutes is using canned beans or 1 hour is using dried. Beans & potato should be tender. Use a immersion blender or regular blender to process about 2 cups of the soup. Add the pasta & simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes. Test for seasoning & add salt & pepper.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything with Chorizo and beans has to be good!

vanillasugarblog said...

what a great flavor-combination here!

grace said...

great soup, kat! i love the sage you've used to flavor it up (in addition to the bacon and chorizo, of course). yum.

Giff said...

nice! you know me and beans :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love bean soup especially when it's slightly thick. I haven't used chorizo in one yet but I can imagine it adds amazing flavor (especially alongside the bacon). Good job!

Lori said...

Of course, me being silly, thought you were talking about cranberries. But you know I like pureeing my beans a little. Like when I make minestrone, I puree half the beans to thicken the soup a little.I like that.

Dewi said...

cranberry beans? that sounds so delicious.
Cheers,
elra

giz said...

I'm not even sure I know what cranberry beans are. With potato, pasta and beans in it, I can see how it would be a very dense soup.

Anonymous said...

Bacon + chorizo? Recipe looks good to me already. What kind of bread is that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota