Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pistachio Crusted Pomegranate Chicken

Last week I made pomegranate molasses to use in icing but I also thought any leftover would be perfect to use as a glaze for chicken. Since I also had a lot of chopped pistachio on hand too I used it as a crust for the chicken. I went with thighs because I think they are such a flavorful piece of the chicken.
Pistachio Crusted Pomegranate Chicken
This smelled amazing while cooking, Matt said it smelled like I was baking some sort of spice cake. And believe me it tasted just as good as it smelled. The sweet-tartness of the pomegranate molasses was wonderful with the dark meat. The mixture of cinnamon, cumin & ginger gave it a slight middle eastern flavor. The pomegranate crust adds a nice little crunch.

We served the chicken with a side of couscous cooked with some parsley.

Pistachio Crusted Pomegranate Chicken

4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed
2 T pomegranate molasses
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t ground ginger
1/8 t ground cumin
1/4 c breadcrumbs
1/4 c finely chopped pistachios
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a baking sheet with sides. Mix the pomegranate molasses with the cinnamon, ginger & cumin. If the molasses is too thick to stir microwave it for about 10 seconds. Mix the breadcrumbs & pistachios together & season with salt & pepper. Sprinkle a little of the breadcrumb mixture on the baking sheet & place the thighs on top pressing down. Coat the top of each thigh with 1/4 of the pomegranate molasses mixture, I find this was easiest with my fingers. Press the breadcrumb mixture on the top of each thigh pressing to help it stick to the molasses.

Bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken reaches 170 F.

Makes 4 chicken thighs

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds exotic! I can't say I've ever had all those flavors together, but am intrigued.

Peter M said...

Pistachios make for a wonderful crust...I use on fish.

The dish looks fab...tasty I'm sure.

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
Thanks for the good idea.
I have some nice breasts (so I've been told) and I will coat them with a pistachio crust!
Bon Voyage!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect combination! I love anything with pomegranate...

Dewi said...

I am sold on the pistachios. I think you are very clever to choose all of the spices to combine with the flavorful nuts. Of course the color is beautiful too.
Cheers,
elra

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

This sounds like a terrific recipe with all good ingredients. Photo is fabulous - jumps right off of the screen.
Sam

Thistlemoon said...

I really love the combination of pomegranate and pistachios - so very delicious! I agree that pistachios are a great coating for meats and fish!

Lori said...

I've never tried pistachios as a crust on chicken. What a tasty combination! It looks beautiful too!

Leslie said...

Pomegranate molasses??? That sounds fantastic!!
I love the new profile photo!

grace said...

so this pomegranate-pistachio combination must be a real winner. i need to remember and make use of this bit of trivia. :)

Maria said...

Love all of the flavors you used in this dish!

Lori said...

This sounds absolutely amazing. I must make this. I have seen it quite a bit lately on blogs and at restaurants. Great idea.

Ashley said...

This looks wonderful! I love pomegranate molasses :)

Lori Lynn said...

I made a dish similar with lamb exactly a year ago, for the Festa Italiana.
Yours looks great, I think I'll try it with chicken too. Really like the spices you used here.
Lori Lynn

Anonymous said...

Mmm spice cake smelling chicken? Sounds good to me. Gotta love how good nutty crusts are.

test it comm said...

That pistachio chicken looks really good!

dining table said...

What a very lovely chicken recipe this is! I definitely love it. I can't wait to try this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota