Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Baby Turnip Slaw

When I mentioned I had baby turnips in my current CSA box a couple people told me I had to try them raw. I gave them a taste & they are quite good raw, with a peppery flavor similar to a mild radish. I thought that flavor would play well in a coleslaw.
Baby Turnip Slaw
I was right this did make a nice crunchy slaw & was a great side with some brats on the grill.

Baby Turnip Slaw

12 baby turnips, julienned
3 T mayonnaise
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t white wine vinegar
salt & pepper

Stir turnips, mayo, mustard & vinegar together. Season generously with salt & pepper. Chill for at lease an hour before serving to allow flavors to meld.

2 - 3 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

7 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I'd never think to eat them raw - looks good

Thistlemoon said...

This looks great! I love turnips, and I have never had them raw - I gotta try it!

grace said...

slaw is a really clever use for your turnips, kat! crunch is key for me in a slaw--who wants a limp mess on their barbecue or hot dog?

Maris said...

So creative! I don't know if I've ever even had turnip - maybe roasted with some other veggies but I bet they're great on their own, too!

Lori said...

THis was a great idea. Looks so creamy and I am imagining the taste of it on some Brats!

Jess said...

I made this for tonight's dinner - it was very good when I prepped it and can only get better while it's chilling.

I'd never thought to eat turnips raw until our CSA farmer mentioned his son eating them raw this week. I'm completely converted after tasting these - they're super sweet.

Tanya said...

Thanks for this idea! I got little white turnips in our CSA box last week and needed a recipe. I linked to your page here, hope you don't mind....I also added a few other things and used vegenaise instead of mayo. Delicious, and thanks again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota