Friday, June 19, 2009

Ricotta Gelato

Last week I was looking for interesting recipes using ricotta for our cheesemaking day with Cooking Minnesota when I stumbled across this recipe on Epicurious. I was very intrigued by the idea of making an ice cream type dessert with cheese, would it be good or would it be gross.
IMG_3996 
It was very simple to but the base together & when I tasted it before freezing I was really happy with the flavor, sweet with just a subtle cheese taste (ricotta doesn't have a strong flavor to start with). I think it's really important to get the base really smooth (which is why I used a blender & not a food processor), I think chunks of cheese curd in this would not have been good. This gelato froze really quickly in the ice cream maker & froze very hard in the freezer. It needs a little time at room temperature before serving.

The final result was a hit. The cheese flavor remained really subtle. The thing that really strikes you as different is the mouth-feel, the best way to describe it is slightly sticky which is unexpected but not unpleasant. We served it with a fresh strawberry balsamic sauce which was a great pairing. I think a strawberry red wine sauce would be wonderful too. I don't think I'd necessarily rush to make this again but it was fun to try & I think my guests over this past weekend have enjoyed trying it too.

Ricotta Gelato 
(from Bon Appetit Sept' 07) 

4 c fresh whole-milk ricotta 
1/2 c whole milk 
1 1/2 c chilled simple syrup** 

Put the ricotta & milk in a blender & process until smooth. Add the simple syrup and continue to process until completely smooth. Put in an airtight container & chill. Transfer to an ice cream maker & process according to the machine's directions. Put into an airtight container & freeze until firm, about 3 hours. Can be keep for 2 days.

** Simple Syrup
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c sugar
Put the sugar & water into a saucepan & bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Turn down to simmer. Let simmer for 3 minutes. Chill. Can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

9 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

Sounds delicious. WOuld be great with fruit.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Given how much I love cheesecake icecreams, I think this would work for me! Maybe as a stracciatella with flakes of chocolate through it?

grace said...

this is so unique to me, but that doesn't make it any less appealing. i think tossing in either fruit or chocolate, as the previous folks suggested, would be welcome!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Very interesting! Sounds delicious!

Sam said...

Interesting recipe, I'd love to try this one!

Lori said...

All those sauces would be great with it. I am so curious about this now.

Ashley said...

This sounds fantastic! Can't wait to try it out :)

Deborah said...

This does sound different, but delicious!

Peter M said...

There's frozen yogurt, ice cream from yogurt so why not ricotta gelato? I'd love a scoop on this hot day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota