Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Green Goddess Dressing

Matt bookmarked this recipe from Bon Appetit May '09 & I thought it was Alice Water's recipe but when I went to make it I noticed it was actually Molly Wizenberg's version of Alice Water's. I was a little unsure about whether or not I'd like it but it was really light & fresh & perfect on the first harvest from our garden.
First harvest
I was a little confused about how much avocado to use in the recipe. It said "1/2 ripe medium avocado, about 7 oz." So, does that mean you want 7 oz of avocado or half of a 7 oz avocado? I don't believe I've ever seen a 14 oz avocado. My avocado was only 5 oz once the pit was removed soI decided to just wing it & throw in the whole thing figuring I was coming in somewhere in the middle. I think the consistency came out just fine & the avocado flavor isn't too little or too much.
Green Goddess
We really enjoyed the herbal flavor of this dressing. Ours was pretty heavy with the licoice flavor of the tarragon because I was a little short on cilantro & parsley but changing the amounts of the different herbs is a great way to give this dressing different flavors each time. I'm betting after sitting overnight it's going to be even better on a salad at lunch today.

Green Goddess Dressing
(adapted from Bon Appetit May '09)

5 oz ripe avocado
3 T champagne vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t lemon juice
1/2 t lime juice
1/4 t sugar
3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c heavy whipping cream
3 T fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2 T fresh tarragon, chopped
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T fresh basil, chopped
1 T shallot, chopped
salt & pepper

Blend the first six ingredients in a food processor into a purée. While processing slowly add the olive oil. Blend well. Pour into a bowl or storage container. Whisk in the cream & then add the herbs & shallots. Season with salt & pepper. Chill for a couple of hours before serving. Whisk right before serving.

Makes 2 cups

Oh yeah, the original recipe called for one anchovy which we left out as well (mainly because I wasn't buying a can for one) so this version did require a good bit of salt to make up for it.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

13 comments:

shopgirl said...

that looks lovely. Avocado! Yummy!

Jeff said...

I don't think you could ever go wrong with more avocado than asked for.

Nicely done and love a great garden fresh salad!

I normally stock the jars of anchovies and just grab one when I need one versus opening up the tins.

amycaseycooks said...

I also planted lettuces this year. They are coming along nicely and I hopefully will keep them away from the deer, groundhogs, and bunnies.

Thanks for the new dressing post.

Carrie said...

I've never thought to use avocado to make a dressing, but it's a great idea!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Great summer dressing. I'll have to persuade hubby he likes avocado

Jen said...

I never actually knew what went into a green goddess dressing... I'll have to give it a try next time I have avocados.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love that dressing sooo much. I use it on sammies & hummus.

Margie said...

That recipe caught my eye also. I loved the creamy mouthfeel. The intense flavor is unexpected in such a beautiful pale green color. I used a squirt from a tube of anchovy paste. Looks gorgeous on your homegrown lettuce.

Christina Kim said...

You had me at "avocado"! what a lovely combo of herbs. If only I had a food processor.

Giff said...

love that top shot of the lettuce Kat!

grace said...

are avocados usually in green goddess dressing? if so, i've been missing out!

Allen said...

I had flagged this recipe in the magazine too but haven't yet tried it. Looks good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Look at your cute little lettuce!

I love the sound of that dressing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota