Thursday, October 15, 2009

Roast Vegetable Salad with Fried Goat Cheese

Each of our CSA boxes comes with a newsletter that explains a little about each item in the box & gives a few recipe ideas. In this past newsletter they mentioned making a roast vegetable salad with the squash & peppers. I love a good roast vegetable salad & realized I hadn't made one in forever. I especially like them with goat cheese on them so I decided to try frying up the goat cheese like you often get in restaurants.
Roasted Veggie Salad with Fried Goat  Cheese
For the roasted vegetables I used butternut squash, UV roaster peppers & leeks but really this salad can be made with whatever vegetables you like & have on hand. I've used potatoes, beets, onions, beans & cauliflower in this type of salad in the past. Because I roast the vegetables with a little olive oil & balsamic the finished salad doesn't need any dressing. The goat cheese is fabulous as it melts & blends in with everything as well. You really don't even need to fry it as it will melt when it hits the warm vegetables but I really love cutting open that golden brown disc to get to the warm cheese.

Frying the cheese was easier than I thought. I had some problems getting the breading to stick especially where my fingers touched it. Those few holes in the breading didn't seem to cause any problems while cooking though & the the cheese stayed together nicely.

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Fried Goat Cheese

2 c butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 c red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
1/2 c leeks, cleaned & sliced
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/2 T balsamic vinegar
kosher salt
plain goat cheese log
1/2 c flour
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 c bread crumbs
salad greens (we used a mix of spinach & arugula)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the cheese log in the freezer.

Put the squash, peppers & leeks in a small roasting pan. Add the olive oil, vinegar & a good pinch or two of salt. Stir to coat the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until everything is turning brown & is tender (especially the squash).

During the last few minutes of cooking the vegetables make the fried cheese. Coat the bottom of a skillet with a little olive oil & heat over medium heat. Remove the cheese log from the freezer & cut into 1/4-inch slices (we got 9 from our log). Place the flour, egg & bread crumb in 3 different bowls. Dip the cheese in the flour, then egg & finally the breadcrumbs. Place carefully into the hot skillet. Let cook about 2 minutes until brown on the bottom, carefully flip over & cook the other side another 2 minutes.

Divide the salad green between two plates. Top with the roasted vegetables & then the fried cheese.

Serves 2

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

15 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ohh love all the texture going on here. never had fried goat cheese, not a big fan of goat cheese, but I am a HUGE fan of fried cheese.

amycaseycooks said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe. I have a log of goat cheese in my refrigerator that has just been bugging me to use.

PikaPikaChick said...

That looks fabulous. I wonder if the goat cheese breading process would work if you used chopsticks?

grace said...

fried cheese. i don't stand a chance against resisting this. :)

George Gaston said...

kat... I have houseguest coming this weekend and will definitely be serving this unbelievable salad during their stay. Thanks...

Kristin said...

Yum! Fried Goat Cheese sounds amazing!!

Sharon said...

You had me at fried goat cheese.

Nancy said...

This salad looks delicious; what a great combination!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful plan and presentation! I'll have to try the goat cheese - I've never done that. Thanks!

Marie in MI said...

We made this last night, using quinoa instead of salad greens - mostly because my greens had turned! It was amazing! Varied the veg a bit to fit what we had on hand and the sweet/salty combination with the roasted veg and goat cheese was fantastic. Thanks for such great ideas.

Jen said...

Looks delicious.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I was just thinking "wow - I never manage to get the breading to stick, I wonder what Kat's secret is?". So I am really pleased to hear that you don't get it to stick properly either!

PG said...

Love the flavour combination on this one. I'd really like to try preparing goat cheese this way.

Peter M said...

The fried cheese here makes this salad exquisite!

Jess said...

My mom's out of town and has left me to cook for two men (dad and brother) so I made a variation on this tonight. I used sweet potato, red bell pepper, water chestnuts, and baby corn, which tasted great with the cheese. My brother really liked the cheese. I think he stole some of mine.
Anyway, thanks for the idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota