Thursday, October 22, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Curry

When we cam back from India last month I was pretty sure I never wanted to look at another curry again. Don't get me wrong, the curries we had were wonderful but we had a lot of them. (I have to tell you, we ate so much curry that the last night in India we were thrilled to have a Pizza Hut outside our hotel & went there for dinner. It's almost embarrassing but that pizza tasted so good.) Well, it didn't take me long to get over that & here we are making curries at home again. We just can't resist, they taste too good & are so perfect for cooler weather.
Roasted Butternut Squash Curry
Since we had half a butternut squash leftover from last week's Roast Vegetable Salad we decided to try a creamy squash curry. I thought butternut squash would have enough flavor to stand up in a curry unlike a milder variety like Delicata. It may seem like a lot of spices in this dish but they really blend together wonderfully. This is a very mild curry, with the slightest bit of heat, add more cayenne or a little Sriracha if you are like Matt & want it hotter. The squash & onions are roasted with a mixture of spices & turned out so good you could just do that part of the recipe to serve as a sidedish.

This dish was originally meant to be vegetarian but I had some leftover cooked chicken I wanted to use up so I threw it in. You can easily make it vegetarian though by leaving the chicken out & using vegetable stock instead of chicken.

Roasted Butternut Squash Curry

1 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, peeled & quartered
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cardamon
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t ground ginger
1 c chicken stock
1 1/2 t garam marsala
1 t chili powder
1 1/2 t ground coriander
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t cumin
1/2 c yogurt
1/4 c ground almonds
2 T salted butter
2 T heavy cream
1/4 - 1/2 c cooked, shredded chicken (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Place the squash, onion & garlic in a small roasting pan. Pour in the olive oil & stir to coat. Add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, pepper & ginger. Stir until all the vegetables are coated well. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the squash is tender but not smooshy. (You can do this step ahead of time & refrigerate until ready to use.)

Put the chicken stock into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garam marsala, chili powder, coriander, cayenne & cumin. Whisk in the yogurt. Add the almonds, butter & heavy cream. Once the butter has melted add the squash, onions & chicken if using. Bring to a simmer & let cook uncovered for about 15 minutes.

Serve over rice

2 - 3 servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

13 comments:

George Gaston said...

kat… the colors & combination of flavors are fantastic! I have not had a good curry in a while, so I will definitely try yours. Thanks…

ps: Now that we live in a global world, American 'classics' are on every corner. I am sure that pizza was a reminder of home.

vanillasugarblog said...

::printing:: I love butternut squash and my curry, so I must try your way.

Elle said...

We haven't had curry in ages!! I love butternut squash on anything, so this must be amazing. It sure looks it!

Manisha said...

Did you pick up any of these spices while you were in India? The only other place that I found a garam masala as good as what I get in Gujarat was in Jamaica where there is a large Indian population. Makes a difference, I think! This sounds really good!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm convinced I can never have too much curry! This is a great combination. 8-)

grace said...

absolutely, there's nothing wrong with some pizza hut now and then. i do love me some roasted butternut squash, but any curry is too much curry for me...

Sara said...

Yum! This looks fantastic! Definitely going to try this!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Bravo for making this dish! This is one of my favorite ways to prepare butternut squash - in curry. Great photo!

Belle and Ward said...

This looks delicious - I love the vegetarian curries, and butternut squash is a favorite around here.

Lori said...

There is something so soothing about a nice curry like this one. The combination of flavors here sound completely wonderful. Love the almond with the squash. I have a few curries to post but I just can not get a good picture.

Lo said...

Oooh. An Indian style curry with squash -- that's awesome. We almost always make Thai red curry during squash season -- but I might have to change my tune. This sounds fabulous.

Spice Rack said...

Wow, this looks great. I'll have to try this curry.

Peter M said...

Another wonderful veg dish. The Indian spices "beef" up the dish, if I may use the term. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota